Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Captain

Carbon Guard

I just found out that I have been over-proped and I do a lot of slow speed trolling.

I use XD100 but have seen on other forums that this can lead to carbon build up which, in turn, can lead to some serious problems.

My engine has 180 hrs and is a 2012. I have a new prop to make sure my WOT revs are correct.

Should I use Carbon Guard to be safe?

If so, how much and how often?

Thanks

Al
E_TEC 115hp
Serial No 05333751
Model E115DPLIN
Admiral

Re: Carbon Guard

[ Edited ]

Overpropping is very bad for an outboard. I hope that your new prop is allowing the motor to run up in the 5800 rpm range or so. The top rpm redline for your motor is 6000 rpm

Because you are outside of the US and your gasoline quality may vary, it wouldn't hurt to use Carbon Guard in your E-TEC with all that low speed running.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Captain

Thanks Bill,

I'll make sure new prop gets the correctt rpms at WOT.

I have just ordered the Carbon Guard.

I have also seen reports on stuck exhaust valves. I cruise around 3500rpm (40km/hr) for economy and comfort. I have also read carbon can cause a stuck exhaust valve (expensive repair) and that my engine should also be run at higher RPM frequently to open the valve and prevent sticking. The valve olny opens around 4200rpm.

BRP has added a grease fitting to newer models to prevent sticking but cannot be retro-fitted to mine so I want to try and prevent the problem.

Thanks Again,

Al
E_TEC 115hp
Serial No 05333751
Model E115DPLIN
Admiral

Visit www.etecownersgroup.com .  Someone there modified his 115 for  a grease fitting a while back. You may have to use the SEARCH function on that site

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Captain

[ Edited ]

Thanks Bill Smiley Happy

Will Carbon Guard and short runs at high rpm to open the valve help to prevent exhaust valve sticking?

Al
E_TEC 115hp
Serial No 05333751
Model E115DPLIN