Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Skipper

Re: Dual 90hp Etec's

Just further feedback on my charging issue...

EVSoftware indicated exactly the same parameters for both motors, however, battery voltages were shown as follows:

Starboard motor - 11.6 volts @ 1500rpm

Portside motor - 13.8 volts @ 1500rpm

All other voltages, amps and everything else were almost identical between the 2 motors. Exept the above.

The technician is currently still investigating.

If anyone could possibly have an idea as to where to begin to check, please let me know.

Thanks

Highlighted
Skipper

Hello all - as said earlier, all parameters per the EVSoftware are correct according to spec.

The only reading tthat does not correlate, is "BATTERY VOLTS". No matter the RPM, reading to battery remains as battery voltage only. In this case, 11.6 volts. No charging increase whatsoever.

Charge Fault Indicator on EMM switches off after motor has started.

And thank you all for your help. It is much appreciated.

Skipper

Just further to my charging problem....

It seems the fault have now been identified and it seems that the regulator in the EMM has popped.

How this happens overnight with the boat switched off, is beyond me. it seems that the EMM will have to be replaced.

Anyone know where I can purchase a new one and have it DHL to South Africa?

David

Skipper

Just another interesting point. The service/repair manual states - "should the battery drop below 12V, between 500 to 2000 RPM, a fault code 26 will be logged and the charge fault LED activated".

None of the above actually happens. No fault codes or LED. Motor runs/acts perfectly normal.

Could  this possibly be something else than a fault with the EMM?

Thanks

Admiral

[ Edited ]

Siesta575 wrote:

Just another interesting point. The service/repair manual states - "should the battery drop below 12V, between 500 to 2000 RPM, a fault code 26 will be logged and the charge fault LED activated".

Could  this possibly be something else than a fault with the EMM?

This is the exact reason we suggested to test the charging system using an ammeter, load bank, and voltmeter per the factory service manual before condemning expensive parts.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Skipper

Once again, thanks for all the interest in this topic.

We have done the same test with a brand new battery. Results are the same. Battery fully charged to 12V.
Connected to motor. Motor run at 1500RPM. No increase in charge volts to battery.

Did the same with the other motor. Charge volts increase to 13+ at same RPM.
Remove the EMM and connected to the other motor. Results identical. No charge to battery.
It seems that the regulator/rectifier has popped. EMM will have to be replaced.

Who can help with shipping one to me here in SA?

David

Skipper

Hi Bill

All possible tests have been concluded and the opinion remains that a CAP in the EMM has popped.

I would like to talk to someone that could assist in shipping a new one to me.

Would anyone know of anybody I could arrange this with?

David

Skipper

Hi David. I have the same issue as you had. I also have 2 90hp etecs 2012 models. I was wondering did you ever solve the problem? Or did you find a reasonably priced source for a new Emm? The charging electronics on these motors does not seem to be very robust. If I can get a new Emm I am going to attempt a repair on the old one.
Admiral

If your dealer has not contacted Evinrude support to see if anything can be done to help alleviate the cost of an EMM, email your serial number and a brief history of the motor to  http://www.brp.com/en/forms/contact-us.html

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.