Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Skipper

E TEC 250 HELP PLEASE

I Have a 2010 E TEC POWERED TO A RANGER Z521. i WAS FISHING RECENTLY WHEN I STRUCK SOMETHING UNDER THE WATER AND SPUN MY HUB. I TOOK IT TO A LOCAL REPAIR SHOP THEY INFORMED ME THAT I CHIPPED DOME TEETH ON THE LOWER UNIT GEARS AND THEY NEEDED TO BE REPLACED ALONG WITH THE SHAFT THAT I HAD BENT THE GROOVES. tHEY REPALCED THE GEARS AND SAID IT RAN FINE. THE FIRST TIME I TOOK IT OUT I COULDNT GET ON PLANE EVERY TIME I WOULD PUNCH IT THE PROP WOULD LOOSE GRIP AND THE ENGINE WOULD JUST SHUTTER.  I TOOK IT BACK AND THEY SAID 2 COILS WERE BAD THEY REPLACED THOSE. THAT STILL DID NOT FIX THE PROBLEM TO MAKE A LONG STORY SHORT i WAS RUNNING A 24 PROP PRIOR TO THE REPAIRS. THEY TRIED TO TELL ME I HAD A 300 HP MOTOR GEARCASE ON MY 250. THIS IS GOING ON A MONTH NOW. i JUST PICKED IT UP THIS WEEKEND WHEN THEY TOLD ME IT WAS READY. WHEN I PUNCHED TO GET ON TOP THE PROP WOULD STILL BLOW OUT AND THE ENGINGE WOULD START TO SHUTTER I COULD STILL GET GOING BUT I HAD TO LET OFF THE THROTTLE TO LET IT CATCH AGIAN AND I COULD GO. fINALY I HAD A FRIEND WITH A 26 PROP WE PUT THAT ON AND IT SOLVED THE PROBLEM. i EXPLAINED TO THEM THAT THEY HAD TO OF CHANGED THE GEAR RATIO OF MY LOWER UNIT BECAUSE PRIOR TO THE REPAIRS A 24 RAN IT IT FINE NOW ITS BLOWING OUT EVERY TIME I GET IT ON PLANE. tOOK IT TODAY TO TEST IT MORE ALL OF A SUDDEN I LOOSE POWER AND NOW I CANT ON PLANE AND IT WONT GO ABOVE 2000 RPM WHILE I HAVE MY HOT FOOT PUSHED ALL THE WAY. ANY ADVICE WOULD BE GREAT DID THEY PUT THE WRONG GEARS IN MY GEAR CASE?

Admiral

Re: E TEC 250 HELP PLEASE

Please turn off your CAPS LOCK key as it is not needed here. Thanks.

We are sorry to hear of your engine problems. That must have been quite an impact to twist the splines and chip a gear tooth. What is the model number on your serial number plate as the 250 and the 250HO had different ratios and gearcases some years. Click on the following link to read an article about how to determine the gear ratio of your engine.

Determining Gear Ratio

Can you post a picture of your gearcase so we know which one is installed?  Are there 6 water inlet holes in the front of the gearcase "bullet?"

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Skipper

It is a 250 HO Model E250DHLISG Serial 05274739

It has 6 water inlets in the front. They said I had a M2 gear case on this engine but it doesnt match up to the gear case when I look at the Evinrude parts list. The one thing they told me is the new gear had 14 teeth where the old gears they took out had 13 so right there wouldnt that change the gear ratio. My 24 raker II prop would blow out where prior it handled the boat fine. I had to put a 26 on it. Now I cant go over 2000 rpm or get the boat on plane does that sound like a gearcase problem.

Skipper

also the gear set they put in was part 5007389

Admiral

Your motor originally came with an L2 gearcase with a different gear ratio. Because of the high toque of the 250 HO and the diffeent types of bass boat hull, a good portion were experiencing problems of durability.  There was a program now expired to change out the L2 gearcases with the larger and stronger M2 Magnum along with a few addtional parts due to the higher water pressure that occurs.

Being larger in diameter plus a changed gear ratio, the M2 performed differently and was not quite as fast. Usually a different propeller is needed.

Talk to your dealer to see about trying a few props to find one which works the best. Tell us about your rig, made, model, year, top speed, and which model prop and we might be able to suggest a starting point. If you wish you can discuss this with Evinrude After Sales Support at 262-884-5993 and have your serial number with you.

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Skipper

Thanks so much for all your help.

However my question still remains.

Prior to the accident my boat ran fine with a raker 2 14 prop. All they did was change out the gears and the prop shaft. after the repairs I had to go to a 26 prop as the 24 was blowing out. They had to have put a different set of gears in. Am I correct in saying that.

Admiral

Without seeing the parts involved all I can say is the your motor originally  came with an L2 gearcase which had a 1.71 ratio with 14-24 gears.  Most of those gearcases were replaced in the field under warranty with the M2 with a 1.85 ratio (13-24) which needed a different prop and had different performance characteristics. You cannot order a 1.71 L2 gearcase any more and the replacement is the M2 which requires a propeller change.