Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Highlighted
Captain

E75DPLABA 2014 Tilt switch acting up occasionally

My Etec just turned 3 years with 2 remaining on the extended warranty and I
had full 3 year service done already.
Every so often when I go to lower my motor after a week of layup the switch seems to not operate when I first press it. If I wait and try again it works fine. It's only happened 2-3 times.
Should I be overly concerned? Any suggestions?
Highlighted
Admiral

Re: E75DPLABA 2014 Tilt switch acting up occasionally

If you are handy with a meter, you can test to see if the switch conducts the voltage or if it has high resistance when first pushed in, then no resistance the second time. It is possible that there may be a bit of corrosion that grew inside the switch.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Highlighted
Captain

I was looking at it yesterday but I got nervous when I saw how congested that area is with wires. It looks like I'd have to remove the lower motor covers which would really worry me.
I'm going to look at ordering a new switch and new flush grommet if I'm already removing covers.
Can you tell me the part numbers for both.
I guess the biggest challenge is making sure those plastic tabs don't crack when reassembling the lower covers.
Highlighted
Captain

Highlighted
Captain

If it happens with both switches it would be the relay, if it happens with only the motor switch, then most likely the switch.
It is covered under warranty and would be best to have your dealer diagnose and repair it.
When you reinstall side covers put grease or silicone spray on the rubber cones to help them slide into the side covers easily.
Highlighted
Admiral

@Rickmcd53 wrote:

When you reinstall side covers put grease or silicone spray on the rubber cones to help them slide into the side covers easily.

Make sure it is Evinrude Triple-Guard grease or a silicone spray or silicone grease as those products do not rot or swell the rubber mounts

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.