Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Captain

Re: EMM Failures - Why??

Some thoughts from my lifetime as an automechanic. Charging systems are designed to supply power to run the engine and recharge the batteries. They are not designed to run at or near full capacity for long periods of time such as recharging dead batteries, sulfated batteries, or supplying power for high power stereos. I have seen all of the above shorten the life of solid state voltage regulator.
Captain

Couldn't agree more Rick. In my experience having done an electrical engineering diploma, worked as a field radio communications technician and a teacher of automotive and metal fabrication., a battery that is about 20% discharged should be able to be charged by an electrical charge system all day everyday year in and year out. Unfortunately I am not having this joy with my motors at the moment. I cannot for the life of me find any external factors that could be causing this. By the way, my batteries are 900cca and about 12mths old. When they gave been sitting for about a week they measure about 13v give or take a fraction. I do not run a power sucking stereo as I'm to old to listen to doof doof music.
Admiral

What brand and industry size battery do you have that is 900CCA?

Do you have any items in the boat that need a battery with that capacity or was that a typo?

Is there anything on your boat that is out of the ordinary for an average recreation craft?

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Captain

The batteries are called " Power AGM" Stop start batteries, NPC- iSS66H. They are actually rated at 910cca. I do not have anything onboard that requires this size battery but I find as with my 4x4, if I run as high capacity battery as will practically fit i get a good service life from them. That is to say that as their cranking ability dies away with age it is high enough to do the job..... to a point of course. My boat is a fairly standard fishing boat. One sounder/ chart plotter, one vhf radio, nav lights, 2 bilge pumps, one deck wash pump.
Captain

Martin, I replied to your post without looking at your name. At least the info about overloading a charging system may help others that read the post.
I've only seen a few EMMs with failed charging systems and those were pre 08 V6 engines in boats where old batteries or connections could have caused it.
The big capacitor is in the 55 volt system. The EMM transforms the 55 volts to 12 -14 volts for the charging system, that would be why Bill suggested checking the capacitor.
Captain

Rick can you tell me if you can see the images of the engine report I posted in my gallery. I could not figure out how to post a pdf. To me the temperature log looks ok but I would like an expert opinion.
Captain

Martin, Yes, I could go to your profile and see your images. The temps look in the normal range. I think the thermostats open at 145.
Admiral

Your previous temp history graph was purged when the new EMM was installed, so only the recent data is shown. 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Admiral

Your faulty EMM came with a one year warranty. If that time period has passed, your dealer can contact Evinrude support to see if they can participate in the replacement in some way. You can also email them the serial number and dealer name along with a description of the motor's history.

http://www.brp.com/en/forms/contact-us.html

Captain

Thanks bluewater bill, the emm is only 4 months old and 30hrs run time when charge failure occurred. I am talking with the dealer at the moment and am confident a replacement will be forth coming. For the life of me I cannot see that there are external factors causing these failures. I am prepared to make any recommended changes in the hope of avoiding future problems but I cannot see that there is a problem with the cabling of this motor.