Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Captain

Re: EMM Failures - Why??

Will do Rick. I certainly hope this is the case.
Captain

So the motor in question has been checked out by an evinrude mechanic. This bloke has been an evinrude mechanic since Noah built the arc and according to the dealership manager , he knows his stuff. All checks came back good and his only explanation is that it's a computer and sometimes they fail. BRP have agreed to honour the new parts warranty and supply a new emm. Can't complain about that. So let's hope this will be the end of it. I have read stories of etecs being used commercially and being abused to no end and being reported to very reliable. Maybe I should try that.
Captain

Martin, Evinrude not only has the longest warranty in the industry but I can say from a dealer point of view that they also have the best coverage. I have never seen the warranty department try to use loopholes or blame the customer to get out of a warranty claim.
Idon't abuse my personal Etec engines but I do run it a lot. I sold my 2011 75 hp at 1500 trouble free hours and the new owner had put another 500 hours on it. The 90 hp that I bought to replace it has 600 hours.
Skipper

It seems like the motors that are run the most are the ones that last the longest.  And motors that are babied, and sit around a lot seem to have more problems per hour.

So you might as well run the motor!  Just make sure you still flush it regularly, condition the fuel and use good oil.

Glad to hear Evinrude stood behind their product.   I'm looking forward to getting mine installed on my tin boat soon.

Captain

To add to the thought above. Would one expect their car to run properly if they used it 4 times a year for short trips and never got over 30 mph?
Admiral

To expand on your explanation, motorhomes have many of the same "calendar induced" problems because they may be driven a few times during a summer, then they sit unused for another year until the following summer.

In the general aviation world, a rarely flown aircraft is called a "hangar queen" and one suffers the same types of issues from sitting for long periods. The one saving grace is that the expensive aviation fuel is produced with storage additives to minimize problems from stale gas.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Captain

Ok so the failed emm had done 30hrs in three months. Would that be considered to be unused? Also I live in the tropics and we do not winterise our motors. Add to that the fact that ethanol ladened fuel is clearly marked on a separate browser where I fuel up and I don't touch the stuff. So I think this negates any of the suggestions being offered here. Put yourself in my shoes. I have 2 etecs that have had 5 emms since 2011. For disclosure I have not owned the boat the entire time. I know 4 etec owners in my area personally and 3 have had emm replacements, 2 were done under warranty. Many emms seem to run a lifetime trouble free and some don't. Those that don't do not appear to be abused. The question is WHY do they fail?