Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Highlighted
Skipper

ETEC 1 flushing while running

Redid some fuel lines etc. and want to test at home on ETEC 200HO. Have ear muff on, other intake covered with tape per operations guide. See no pee coming out of the top peehole. Is it safe to start? Am I missing anything?

Highlighted
Skipper

Re: ETEC 1 flushing while running

FYI. Never ran to flush before, always used lower engine cover flush port. ETEC 1.
Highlighted
Skipper

ok, found out I can use either for flushing while at idle. Still want answer on piss stream. Now, for how long can I do this? For regular flushing, everything says 5 min.
Highlighted
Mate

Highlighted
Mate

Highlighted
Captain

When using flush muffs it may take a minute of running before water will fill the block and pump out. When in doubt I use the rear flush port to fill the engine for a minute then move hose to flush muffs to prove water pump operation. In the shop we run engines at idle on muffs or flush port for 20 minutes or more while diagnosing. And we do rev them up and at times run them above idle speed on the hose. As far as flushing, 5 minutes should be enough time to flush an engine.
Highlighted
Skipper

Maybe off topic question - I went thru the manual on the motor and it talks about using the flush port for the winterizing procedure.  I'm new to boat motors so please bear with me if this is obvious....  

If I run the motor on the flush port, does it run water to the entire water jackets in the motor with the exception of the impeller part?  Will it damage the impeller to run it dry?  From what I can gather if I buy and use the muffs that will draw the water thru the impeller and out the pisser the same as if it was in the water.

Highlighted
Admiral

Using the rear flushing port allows the water pressure to migrate to the water pump for both cooling and lubrication of the rubber vanes. Just idle to motor, of course.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.