Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Mate

Engine programming

Hey guys, I just purchased a pure bay 2200 with the etec g2 250. I had asked for the HO. They did not install one. They decided for me and installed the E250X. Yes, it’s 250 HP, but I wanted the HO. I have read they all have the same displacement. Is the HO just in the programming?
Admiral

Re: Engine programming

A lot  of the difference is in the programming plus the 250 HO has a water injection system in the exhaust section for enhanced acceleration and a different engine block.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Captain

Bill was working late and got the models confused. The 200 and 200HO are different engine blocks.
All the 250's are 3.4 liter engines and the main difference is the programing. Each engine model is EPA certified so it would be illegal to change the programing in one, if it could be done.
Can you post the model number of your engine?
The color covers are ordered separately from the engines so it could be possible that you have an HO with non HO covers.
Admiral

Rick,

The engines in question are the G2  250 and the G2  250 HO.

I definitely understand being exhausted after working 10 hours or so on hot and humid summer days. Had lots of years doing that.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Captain

Rick,

The 200HO, 225, 225HO and 250 have the same block. The 25O HO and 300 share the same but different block. The port timing and exhaust tune is different on the 250HO and 300 to produce the higher HP, in order to counteract the flatenneing of the mid range torque curve they added the water valve. ThisTwas to change the mid range exhaust tune and get more air into the cylinders.

Mate

It’s the E250X. Yes, I know it’s 250 hp. Runs great. But, I told the man I want the HO. Took four months for delivery. I got top of the line everthing. For the amount of money I was spending, I wanted the dang HO. I got the 10 yr warranty though. If reprogramming is possible, wouldn’t want to lose the warranty.
Captain

Reprogramming a 250 to get a 250HO is not possible even if it was legal. They are mechanically different engines.

Mate

Appreciate your knowledge. I know that the 200 thru 250 are all the same displacement and blocks. It’s the tuning that is different. I was curious.
Captain

The 200HO to 250 (non HP) are mechanically identical. The differance is in the engine map. (software)

The 250HO and 300 are mechanically identical, each with a differant engine map.

All of 200HO to 300 are 3.4 litre blocks.

I hilighed the mechanical differance bewteen the 2 types of 3.4 litre blocks a couple of posts ago.

Mate

Right on. I had gotten angry. Was expecting the Hog. Been researching a bit. Maybe there’s not much difference performance wise. Maybe a couple of mph. This is my ninth boat. All the engines were evinrude/Johnson and one yamahammer 2stroke. They are exspensive, but specs and experience kept me with em.