Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Skipper

Etec repower

Looking at a 2005 225Ho etec with 530 hours. Has had emm and an injector replaced. 67% hours under 2000 rpm. Comes with oil tank, controls and ss prop. Looking to replace an 05 carb yama on my 25 ft bennington tritoon. Any advice on this motor or what to look for?
Admiral

Re: Etec repower

The best advice we can offer is to have you enlist the services of an E-TEC trained technician to check over the whole motor for you before money changes hands. It is already 14 years old and may be due for complete servicing and any for any updates that may be required.

Ask for a printout of the engine report and be sure your old boat has clean fuel system and an electrical system and battery in good condition.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Skipper

That 14 year old line got me.. So i passed on it. 

I have now found a

2013 Evinrude E225DPX

25inch shaft with 80 hours on it. 

Is this a good motor if all checks out.   

Admiral

Good motor, but still have it checked over by a tech before purchasing and get a printout report.

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Skipper

Well after talking to seller he admitted it had the power head replaced at 10 hours and multiple sensors since then and a lower unit. Said he was tired of the 100 mile trip to the dealer.   Sounds like the engine was a dud or he really mistreated it. 

Im getting discouraged on re powering my boat. 

Thanks for your input though! 

Skipper

Is this model and serial number accurate for this  and is it truly an ho with more than 225 hp

E225 DHXSOC

owner is retired marine shop owner has readout showing hour breakdown and no codes

willing to do compression and leak down test.  Said Emm had been replaced do they transfer the info stored on them? 

Has 500 hours on it can I expect a few hundred more with proper care? 

Admiral

[ Edited ]

The model number designates the 225 as an HO version which has the enhanced tuning over the regular 225.

As with anything used, have an E-TEC trained technician give the motor a complete checkover first and look for any updates or service bulletins that might apply plus give you an estimate of any service needed before you buy it.

A replacement EMM gets loaded with the motor's previous engine history and time in service.

Skipper

Is the year wrong. I can't find this model on charts with 2005 designation. This is an etec right?
Admiral

Evinrude
E225DCXSOC
E225DCZSOC
E225DHLSOC
E225DHLSOF
E225DHLSOG
E225DHXSOC
E225DHXSOG
E225DPLSOC
E225DPXSOC
E225DPZSOC
E225FCXSOE
E225FCZSOE
E225FHLSOB
E225FHXSOC
E225FPLSOE
E225FPXSOE
E225FPZSOE

Skipper

I bòught the motor.  Now I need a prop. It's on a bennington 25ft tritoon.  I enjoy pulling a tube or two and a skier I also like to go fast. Is there a prop that will do it all.   I think it has the lighting lower unit.  Is that bad or good.