Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Highlighted
Skipper
Accepted Solution

Evinrude 135 (1975)

[ Edited ]

New member,

picked up a Evinrude 135 HP (1975) in a trade (got a boat and trailer with it).

Was told "it ran when put up a year ago", Reg tag was last current in 2014...So there is that.  Wasn't worrying too much about the motor, but think there may be some life left in it...

Got it home today and started tinkering with it.  Doesn't have ANY SPARK!

What I have done so far:

NEW, FULLY CHARGED battery (1,000 MCA)

Cleaned all connections

New Fuel

Cleaned spark plugs

Disconnected Black/Yellow (dead man switch)

Removed plugs for faster RPM

Spark Tested Each Cylinder

What it is currently doing

Starter sounds very weak (drains battery from 12.3 down to 6.3 per volt meter)

No Spark on any cylinder

I would like to get a spark, to see what kind of shape the motor is in...I know it is going to need carbs rebuilt, and water pump.  But would like to save a little money on diagnosis before sending it for carb and water pump, tune up...

I figure it will probably need a power pack (from reading up online), possibly starter, stator, coil packs...looking for least expensive possibility, and working my way up from there.

Here is a video I shot this evening...

https://youtu.be/rhy7jTj5zzU

Highlighted
Admiral

Re: Evinrude 135 (1975)

Your best bet is to obtain the factory service manual and the appropriate special tools such as a DVA meter or adapter to measure and troubleshoot the ignition system.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Highlighted
Skipper

Best place to find a DVA adapter or meter?

Highlighted
Admiral

http://www.stevensinstrument.com/products.htm

http://esitest.com/640.html

http://www.cdielectronics.com/product-category/tools-test-equipment/multimeters/

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Highlighted
Captain

First, a starter circuit voltage drop test. One meter lead on battery negative post and one on the engine block, while cranking the voltage difference should be less than .5 volts. Repeat on positive circuit. Was your 6.3 volts read at the battery or the engine? Spray lube in the cylinders to keep dry cylinder walls from dragging the starter down. As an Evinrude tech I prefer to use Evinrude engine tuner to lubricate and decarbon before doing compression tests.
If you already have a DVM then you can buy a PVA adapter to read coil input voltages. I recently bought one from SnapOn for under $40 USD.
Highlighted
Skipper

The 6.3 was at the battery. I will try it on the engine.

Is there a specific place to purchase some Evinrude Tuner?
Highlighted
Admiral

[ Edited ]

@CalebJns wrote:
The 6.3 was at the battery. I will try it on the engine.

Is there a specific place to purchase some Evinrude Tuner?

Your battery is very weak and if charging it does not get the voltage to about 10V, then it needs to be replaced. Those motors need about 350 rpm cranking speed to generate enough voltage for ignition so use a 1000MCA-850CCA battery 

Engine Tuner is available at Evinrude dealers

Highlighted
Skipper

Battery was purchased new 2 months ago, for my other boat...it’s a 1,000 mca
Highlighted
Captain

Have the battery load tested to verify that it is good. Using a plastic tube to get a little two stroke oil in the cylinders to lube them will work. If you can turn the engine with a standard 1/2" ratchet, then it isn't too tight and most likely a bad starter.
Highlighted
Skipper

Not sure if you watched the video or not, but the batter is at 12.3v, once the key is turned (or selonoid is jumped), and the starter engages, the volts drop to 6.3 on the battery; as soon as I release the key (stop trying to start it), volts go back up to 12.2-12.3...I'll get a starter ordered and see how it does...thanks for the reply, and help!