Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Admiral

Re: Evinrude 135 (1975)

Your battery voltage should not go below 10 volts  or so while the starter is engaged. If you can borrow a clip-on DC ammeter, the draw after the initial surge of 200+ amps should be about 150-175 amps.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Skipper

I’ll pick one up tomorrow and give it a try, I do have a new starter on the way, hopefully it will be here first of the week.
Skipper

Picked up the clip on DC, where should I clamp it to test? Starter should be in on Sat...so hoping to do some work on it this weekend.
Admiral

[ Edited ]

Positive cable at battery and again at starter cable post to see if there is any differrence.

Have voltmeter on battery posts also to make sure it doesn't drop below 10 V

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Skipper

Installed new starter (old one was frozen up when I first got it), put a new battery on it, same thing...voltage dropped way below 10 V. Scratching my head at this point...it still doesn’t want to turn many RPM’s. I even hooked my vehicle up to the boat battery, and same results, volts dropped.
I do consider myself somewhat handy, not afraid to get my hands dirty...would just like to try to get this firing. For what it’s worth, I can rotate the fly wheel “freely”, meaning I can turn it with my hands, it is not super easy, but I can feel the compression in the cylinders...if that makes sense...much easier with plugs removed

I know my plans at the moment (once I can get it fired off), will be to replace the fuel filter, rebuild the carbs, transfer it over to my 𝑶𝒓𝒊𝒈𝒊𝒏𝒂𝒍 Boat.
Skipper

Would the stator or trigger cause it to “drag” and loose voltage?
Admiral

[ Edited ]

Was the low voltage at the starter or the battery posts?

Is the flywheel able to turn without too much effort by hand with the spark plugs removed?

Skipper

[ Edited ]

Both...

The flywheel is able to be spun by hand (with some effort), easier with the plugs removed. Compression can be felt....

Admiral

[ Edited ]

Unless there is a short somewhere after the solenoid and the starter is new, then the low voltage is due to a weak or bad battery

Does it crank over rapidly with the plugs removed

Skipper

I'll try to go out and get a video in a few minutes...with and without the plugs. I will try to get as much in the video as possible...what all would be beneficial to see in a video?

Please be very specific.  I have the following "stuff"

1. Digital Volt meter

2. Clamp on volt meter

3. Spark plug tester

4. Circuit tester