Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Mate

Evinrude NMEA 2000 Engine Interface Cable Length

I recently purchased a 15ft NMEA 2000 Evinrude EMM interface cable Part # 766026 and it is a little bit too short to reach my helm area where my elecronics are located. Does anyone know if a longer cable is available ?

Thanks in advance for any info.

Admiral

Re: Evinrude NMEA 2000 Engine Interface Cable Length

The cable does not have to reach your dash, it attaches to the backbone, which is the network cable that should run from the back of the boat to the helm.

http://continuouswave.com/whaler/reference/NMEA2000.html - Good Networking Article

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Mate

Makes sense. Thank you very much for the link and info.

Skipper

There are no longer cables because according to the NMEA standard that is approximately as long as a the cable can be.  The limit is 6 meters between the device (in this case the EMM) and the backbone, when you combine the cable and the wires in the harness it cant really be that much longer.

If your only missing like 12 to 18 inches you can just screw a backbone/drop cable to the end of it to extend it but i certainly wouldnt go any longer than that.

What you will need to do is to move one end of your backbone to the back of the boat.  You can do this but installing a T and a terminator in the back of the boat to hook the engine into and use a backbone cable to connect it to the Ts under the dash.

PS backbone and drop cables are really the same cable they just have 2 differnt terms for them based on what they are being used for.

Mate

Great info.   Thank you.