Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Highlighted
Skipper

Evinrude fuel/water separator question

New guy, first post.  Enjoying reading & researching.

By way of introduction - just bought a 2013 Sea Ark 1872 MVT Pro w/ 135 HO.  Finally had it on the water for the first time today & was very impressed with that motor!

My question - I want to mount a fuel/water separator - I have covered battery/oil compartments in the transom.  Fuel tank is up front.

How ‘tall’ is the Evinrude F/W kit?  I want to get the Evinrude kit # 174176 but would like to know if it’ll fit inside the compartment.

Thanks for any info or help

Highlighted
Admiral

Re: Evinrude fuel/water separator question

[ Edited ]

Figure on about 10" of height minimum to allow for a filter wrench to slide underneath a filter for removal and a shallow pan to catch any spilled gasoline.

It would be wise to mount it away from the battery or at least add some sort of separator for protection. Make sure the compartment is vented to the outside to dissipate both the explosive hydrogen from the battery charging gases and any flammable gasoline fumes.   The igniting of either substance could spell disaster resulting in damage, injury, and/or death.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Highlighted
Skipper

Perfect! Thank you very much!
Highlighted
Captain

Related question, does the new filter need to be pre-filled with oil for an ETEC motor?

I always did this for my old carb Yam90, but not sure it's necessary on fuel injected motors.

Thanks,
2017 Tidewater 1910 Baymax
Evinrude 150HO (M: E150HGXABH S/N: 05500627H MFDate: 6/17)
Highlighted
Admiral

@Hi_c wrote:
Related question, does the new filter need to be pre-filled with oil for an ETEC motor?

Prefilled with gasoline is recommended, not oil

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.