Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Skipper

Re: First time Posting! Need guidance with New 2019 E-TEC 135HO setup on 2000 Lund Mr. Pike 17

Rick,

The E-TEC I have has the plane wing skeg. It also has a spot under the AV plate that has a blanker plate on it that is the exact position and size of a trim tab. I don’t have access to the boat currently it’s 130 miles away to see if the plate is removable.
Highlighted
Skipper

Re: First time Posting! Need guidance with New 2019 E-TEC 135HO setup on 2000 Lund Mr. Pike 17

Rick & Bill,

Thanks for the tips and suggestions...  I will update the thread after my day at the dealer next week to let you know how it went.

Captain

Welcome Kevin.  I added no feedback steering a few years ago and it helped.  I’m very happy with it. Very simple to install and low cost. You probably do have a tab that you can install to help with torque steer.  Your new motor is a completely different animal. It will take a few days to adjust to the difference   Also Your rig looks very nice.. 

Skipper

Thanks Realfun. My budget this year is blown on the new motor and a new Top Gun travel cover so steering replacement will have to wait till next year. I will probably go NFB or hydraulic if I can.
Captain

[ Edited ]

KevinD     do you still have plans to try a Rebel prop?

Captain

Kevin all that needs to change is the helm portion of the system. 130$ plug n play. Sea star nfb 4.2  . I hope this helps.

Skipper

Realfun,

Thanks I didn't know you could just change out the helm. I think there may be bit more to it though, since the way in which the physical cable connectors to the helm may have changed from the old unit in my boat. I have decided to replace the whole system next year though with a hydraulic. I can live with the torque steer this season, now that I've got some time on the water with the new motor I'm pretty sure it's not any worse than the old.
Skipper

[ Edited ]

Alyaz,

I went back to the dealer and he was not able to get in a selection of props to try. He was relying on the local Evinrude tech to bring out a selection but the tech was unavailable for my appointment. The only prop he had was a Rebel 15.25"x19 which didn't help at all since the aluminum is a 14.25x19. The rebel lost 3MPH and caused the boat to fishtail (I would say chine walk, but I don't know if that's possible doing 20-30MPH) during holeshot then run ok up to about 40MPH where if I wasn't careful with trim and turns it would start again. A very dangerous situation with that prop. Anyways I've decided to stay with the aluminum for now. It performs almost as good as the old ficht/prop combo.

Skipper

[ Edited ]

Sorry I haven't replied sooner, been busy out in the boat and cottaging.

SO I went back to the dealer about two weeks ago.  Dealer didn't have a selection of props to try and tried to arrange to have the local Evinrude rep out there with his selection.  That didn't work out.  The dealer did have a 15.25"x19 Rebel to try but it lost 3MPH and caused fishtailing during holeshot and at around 40MPH if trimmed in a certain position.  Pretty scary actually.  After all is said and done not a lot has changed, I did get the new TECH series guages installed and the tach is good now, but the speedo is out,  I will need to look at a pitot tube replacement?  Turns out that the AV plate was only 1/2" above the hull, it's just that with Evinrude no longer providing a pin at the back to limit the tilt angle of the motor, when it is trimmed all the way in the AV plate looks like it is up higher. When it's trimmed even with the hull it's 1/2" above.

The Evinrude rep/tech explained that even though the E-TEC is "HO" in effect it won't be much different than the Ficht since even back then they were pushing the 10%, they just weren't publicising it. Torque steer is still an issue, although now I'm pretty sure it's no worse than it was on the Ficht. Even though there is a mounting spot for a trim tab, the dealer recommended not to put one on and that Evinrude thinks the winged skeg is good enough and creates less drag.

I have gotten a lot of time on the water with ths new motor since last posting, and I'm pretty convinced that even with the aluminum 14.24x19 it is behaving 98% as nice as the old Ficht. It's about 3MPH slower than the Ficht which would do 52MPH in right conditions, but it is still pretty awsome especially the throttle response!

So I am good for the season and can enjoy the new motor.  Next year I will replace the steering with hydraulic.

Thanks for all the help everyone!

Captain

Copy.  Thanks for the details.  

Hopefully I will have more details on the props used so far on my new build (with the 135HO) and I'll let everyone know.  The engine came with an aluminum prop that was apparently slightly overpropped so the dealer shipped the builder a S.S. Rebel.

Will report back...