Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Highlighted
Skipper

Fuel Consumption 2006 225 E Tec

I know this is a tough question to answer without a lot of information but I am hoping somebody has some insight for me.

I own a 24 ft Grady White Offshore with a 2006 225 e Tec on the back.....it is my fiirst full season with the boat so I don't have a real history with it. I did have a qualified mechanic tune it up for me this spring....water pump....plugs....gaskets...etc.

My question is this...I am planning a tuna fishing trip apx 50 miles offshore....with a lot of trolling. I have been researching expected fuel consumption.....and am hearing anywhere from 2-3 MPG while cruising at apx 3700 RPM or apx 25 MPH.

Only my main tank is in service....93 gal capacity. 

Think I am safe using 2 MPG as my cruising consumption.?

Thanks.

Highlighted
Admiral

Re: Fuel Consumption 2006 225 E Tec

You have a heavy 24' boat that is borderline underpowered with a single 225.  What prop do you have, what is the weight of the boat, and what rpm and speed does it attain at full throttle with a full tank, passenger, and fishing gear?

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Highlighted
Skipper

Hey Bill....I clearly said I don't have enough history with the boat to answer all those questions....I don't run the boat at WOT......I just thought that somebody here may be able to give me the benefit of their experience with a similar set up. If I can expect 2mpg at 3700-3800 rpm I am good to go 50 miles and troll for a few hrs......if I am only going to get 1 like I did with my old Yammi 250....no go.

I can also carry some extra fuel...just in case.

Thanks for your time.

Highlighted
Admiral

The more information, the more accurate the answer, but I do understand.

You may want to peruse the performance reports on the Evinrude website, www.evinrude.com , for comparisons to boats as large as yours. Another good source, especially for older motors is  boattest.com as they normally include a detailed fuel consumption chart with their articles and videos.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Highlighted
Captain

As a tech I suggest looking to see if your electronics (GPS/fishfinder) has NMEA 2000 connections or adding an IconPro tach so you can monitor gallon per hour fuel consumption.
Last week I ran a heavy rescue boat with twin 300's and max fuel burn was about 2 mpg per engine so that sounds like a reasonable estimate on your boat.
The NMEA data output on your engine can give a calculated instant fuel burn rate that can be very beneficial in saving fuel. For example on my personal boat I have found that running 4600 rpm is more fuel efficient than running 4200 with my average load. Just giving that example to show that adding a network to get engine data can pay for itself in fuel savings.