Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Captain

Fuel tank levels

I have a 2016 E-Tec 150 HO ( Gen 1 ) with 3.5" Icon gauges, Lowrance electronics with an Evinrude Engine Interface cable,

an a 41 gal "L" shaped gas tank with an analog sensor. I am interested in the most accurate way of determining the amount of fuel remaining, and whether or not switching to a digital fuel level sensor will help? Thanks for any input.

Captain

Re: Fuel tank levels

You can add an EP-65R fuel level converter to your analog sending unit to get digital fuel level input. Being able to accurately see a display of fuel remaining would require entering fuel capacity into your instruments and calibrating your sender.
Another method, if your instruments have the option is to set "fuel source" to "engine". This uses the engine calculated fuel burn rate and tank capacity to display fuel remaining.
Are your 3.5" Icon instruments the Icon Pro series with the LCD display at the bottom?
Captain

Yes, I have the gauges you mentioned, and I did calibrate them with a full tank of gas. Never did a calibration with an empty tank. I believe I have fuel source set to " NMEA 2000 ". Does this mean that
the analog tank fuel sensor is not being used to calculate remaining fuel? Is the information from the E-Tec more accurate than having an inline electronic fuel flow sensor or paddle wheel type sensor? Lastly, after the initial calibration with a full tank, do I need to enter the amount of fuel every time I add more? Thanks.
Captain

In.my experience, in-line fuel flow sensors do not provide good accuracy. This is primarily due to the extremely fuel flow rate at lower engine power output settings. The EMM provided fuel rate will be far more accurate overall. 

ElderSparky

· Was your question answered? Help others find the answer by clicking "Accept as Solution".
· See a great post? Give a Kudo kudo.pngto show your appreciation!