Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Captain

G2 Winterizing

It'll be that time before long here in Oklahoma.  I run 100% 87 octane only as it is required to be published on the pumps in my state.  Any additional recommendations such as fuel additives, full tank or anything else?  This boat will be stored in doors at all times.  Thank you!

Ranger Ryan
Captain

Re: G2 Winterizing

I run Evinrude 2+4 in my gas all year. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure, when it comes to water in the gas.
Highlighted
Captain

I'll get some 2+4 and add it to the tank, run it a while before putting her up for good.  THANKS!

Ranger Ryan
Admiral

If you can, take the boat out and run it after adding the 2+4 to get it thoroughly mixed in the gas tank and fully circulated throughout the engine's fuel system components.

If you just dump the 2+4 into the tank and idle the motor on the hose for a few minutes, it will never circulate through the engine.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Captain

I will do exactly that!!

Ranger Ryan
Captain

Hey Ryan,
How cold does it get in that indoor storage? Any chance of freezing? If so, you may want to drain that gear oil and replace just incase any water got past the seals. The only way to know for sure is to make the effort.
Captain

If it freezes it will barely tap that 32degree mark.  I will have lower unit serviced also.  

Should I run 1oz per 2.5 gal of 2+4 or 1oz per 5 gal?

Ranger Ryan
Admiral

Mix at the richer ratio for long term storage.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Captain

Got it done and man does she run good!  Time for a bath and wax job before laying to rest in the garage!

Ranger Ryan
Captain

I don't know your boats setup but I changed the motors fuel filter and water separater filter. Also you do need to follow Evinrude winterizing procedure if you are laying up for the season. It's easy and you can run motor whenever the weather breaks in your area.