Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Mate

Going on a year of G2 300hp problems

After two power heads, new lower unit, new harness, new computers, new cooling system, new fuel system, two new ignitions I'm still stuck with a motor that shuts down whether at idle or top end. Current dealer, third one I've been too currently doesn't know what else to do. Enough is enough. I've owned the boat for a year and it has been in the shop over 6 months of that time. Cost me $1000s in nonrefundable tournament entries, hotels, weekends, gas back and forth to dealers, etc.

I dont know what to do? I have a motor I cant sell, even if fixed not sure it would be worth anything with its history. Have asked to talk to a Evinrude representative numerous times and was always told someone would reach out. Never have.

Evinrude is getting such a bad name in two major walleye circuits (MWT and MWC) because of my motor. Why would they not get serious about fixing the problem? No idea where to turn. Has completely ruined two years of tournament seasons for me. Warranty sure doesn't mean anything if it never gets fixed.

Any advice from anyone?
Admiral

Re: Going on a year of G2 300hp problems

We are very sorry to hear about your disappointment in your Evinrude Outboard motor.  Evinrude has a support team to help out dealers that encounter problems that are hard to diagnose and your dealer should take advantage of their expertise.

You may want to send an email with the engine serial number, dealer name, and a brief history to 
http://www.brp.com/en/forms/contact-us.html

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Mate

Two different dealers have dealt with the support team. Current dealer says they are "stumped" as well.
Captain

[ Edited ]

If accurate, these are the types of posts that are most disheartening.  I get that all motors have issues from time to time, but when a manufacturer's 'support team' and dealers can't get a motor back up and running, then they need an alternative plan.  Like get that person a loaner motor, or a buy back program, or send one of the Ninja support people to the problem engine... or something.  A ten year warranty is of no use in a case like this.  Ultimately, it's in no ones interest to have an engine out there that is not running.  

Mate

Not only that but I have lost entry fees adding up to over $4000. Not included travel expenses and entries into world championship etc because of breakdowns. Warrenty has no use if it still doesn't get fixed. Four boat team, 2 new rangers ordered this year with Merc's instead of etecs because of my motor issues. I have actually had Evinrude prostaff guys tell me to sue brp. Pretty disheartening hearing that. Big boat payment to have it sitting at dealerships for 6 months.
Captain

I'm an Evinrude tech at a dealership and would be glad to look at your service history to see if anything "jumps out to a fresh set of eyes" if you can provide your engine serial number.
Captain

I have a 2  plus year old g2 250ho that has had it's problems,  several powerhead replacements. 2 were not BRP's fault however I have never been off the water longer than 1 week the service was excelent. BRP even sent a tech down to check that the last power head was installed correctly. They took it for a ride with the laptop hooked up to it and so far so good. I have buddies with other brand engines that had to wait 2 month on parts so everybody has it's problems.