Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Skipper

Good motor from 2 parts motors?

Greetings all.

I have always wanted an E-tec, but they have always been out of my budget.  But recently, I came upon a local yacht club that was selling some E-tec parts motors from their fleet.

They had a 2008 Evinrude Etec 40 HP that has 135 PSI compression, and it supposedly ran fine when they pulled it from the boat.  They took it out of service because the motor has broken away from the swivel bracket at the top. The bottom connection and the shift rod are the only reason it hasn't fallen off.  How are these supposed to attach?  On my older motor, there are two bolts that connect right under the steering "tongue", but this one doesn't seem to have any bolts there.   Do these motors normally have those same bolts?

Also, stuff has been "borrowed" from the 40, including the computer and injectors.  That's where the second motor comes in.   The second motor is a 2010 Evinrude Etec 60 HP power head that seems pretty complete, but is locked up.

The motors look pretty identical.  They tell me I should be able to use parts from the 60 to get the 40 running again.  So I took a chance, offered them $750 for both of them, and now they are mine. 

So, is this feasable?  Is it just a matter of pulling the parts from the 60 and putting them onto the 40?   

Are the 2010 parts compatible with the 2008? 

And I'm really curious of whether the motor will be a 40 or will it be a 60 HP, if I can get it running?   Thanks.

-Ant

Captain

Re: Good motor from 2 parts motors?

The 40 and 60 hp engines have upper rubber motor mounts, I think I recall that the power head has to be pulled to access the mounts, also likely that the shift rod is bent on the 40.
The 60 hp engine has a water valve in the exhaust so a 60 hp EMM on a 40 hp power head won't make it a 60.
I can't remember if it was 07 or 08 when the angle of the injector tips was changed.
Skipper

Rickmcd53,

Tthank you for the fast reply.

I went on Ebay and found the mounts for $20.  Not bad at all.   Now that I know what I am looking at, I'm pretty sure the 3 bolts that hold the mount to the midsection are rusted off or broken too.  Looks like a lot of work to get to it.  I guess that's why they abandoned this motor, but it looks worth the effort. to me.

But you have my interest about the 40 vs the 60!

What I really want is 50 HP, since that is the max HP for my boat. Since the 60 parts won't help, I'm going to see if they have any 50 parts around.  From what I can see, it's the same block for 40-60 HP.  Is that true?   Does the "water valve" makes the difference in power, and does the 50 need one?   Can they be added, or does it require more?

I'm going to have to take this thing all apart anyway, so it might be worth it to do what it takes to make 50 HP, if that is possible.   Otherwise, I just need to fix the 40 and get it running well.  I'd be pretty happy with that, too.

This would be a first-time project for me, but I'm pretty excited to give it a shot.

Captain

www.evinrude.com has an online parts catalog where you could look up part numbers to compare engine components.
The 60 hp is the only 2 cylinder that has a water valve.
The fuel air mix etc. Is programmed into the EMM for each engine. If you put the 60 hp EMM on a 40 hp you would get an error code something like " water valve circuit open".
Also each injector has a specific flow charactic and position programmed into it. If you go buying mismatched parts then any new injectors would have to be programmed.
If the 40 hp and 60 hp cylinder heads are the same part number then you could put the 60 hp EMM and injectors on the 40 block and mount it on the 60 hp midsection with the water valve.
Captain

I do have to advise you that I work on Etecs so this advice is not an Evinrude approved procedure.
Highlighted
Skipper

Thanks for those clues and the information.

They don't have any other parts they want to sell.  The 60 got a brand new powerhead, so the midsection and lower isn't available.

I would be interested in finding a matched set from a 50, but it appears that those are very popular, and sell very quickly.   From what I can tell, a set of injectors and EMM from a 40 cost about $200, and there are many of them available.   The same set from a 50 or a 60 costs about $700, and there is only one currently listed.   I guess everyone is looking for more power.

The good news for me is that this 60 powerhead isn't so worthless after all!  I wonder what else I can salvage/sell from it?

Too bad I can't swap it for a 50, but 40 HP should be fine.  It should outperform my current 35, but I wonder if the weight difference might offset that somewhat.  I guess I will find out soon enough.

Thanks again.