Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Highlighted
Mate

Hard first start

Ok so this started a couple of weeks ago and both engines are doing it.First start in the morning if I dont keep the rpms up around 1000 for a minute or so engines will stall.once they run for that time I can pull the throttles back and they will run but the idle keeps going up and down from about 650 to 800 gets better as engines warm but still flucuates by about 50 to 75 rpms.What I have checkeds;o far was the exhaust nipples both were a little clogged but not bad.I regaped all the plugs engines still doing the same thing.Looking for some suggestions where to look next.There are no codes in the emm.Engines are 2000 Evinrude 200hp ficht.Thanks for any help

Highlighted
Admiral

Re: Hard first start

Did you thoroughly clean out the exhaust pressure sensor tubes?

Remove the pulse hoses on the lift pump and check for any gasoline leakage. Carefully remove the vent hose from the VST and check for any gasoline leakage  at startup and while running. Temporarily attach a piece of clear fuel line. If you break the top nipple on the VST, you buy a new one.

Carboned up or worn injectors could also affect the idle

If you do your own work, obtain the factory service manual.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Highlighted
Mate

Re: Hard first start

Thanks for your help.I have the manual and the diagnostic software.