Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Skipper
Accepted Solution

Help to identify year/model of Evinrude outboard - please

Hi There,

I am wondering if someone can please assist?

My Evinrude VRO 50 - does not appear to have a id plate anywhere, on the engine mount I found G2500037 stamped, can someone please assist me with the approx year and model of my outboard?

I have attached some pictures, I am thinking 80's?

Cheers20161128_203150.png20161128_203150.png

Admiral

Re: Help to identify year/model of Evinrude outboard - please

That serial number is for a 1990 40hp model

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Skipper

Thanks Bill! Do you know where I could find an online manual?
Skipper

Any other ways to tell the hp? As our cowling says 50hp and all looks original.
Highlighted
Admiral

[ Edited ]

The 40 and 50 are basically the same motor with different carbs and other minor differences. You cannot tell the differcence in the blocks just  by looking. You would have to compare the venturi diameters in the carbs and jet sizes from a 40 and 50 to find out which powerhead you have. Refer to the online parts listing at EVINRUDE PARTS .

The motor covers are both the same, the only difference is the HP plaque so the cover may not be the original one.

Manuals are avaiable from  www.outboardbooks.com

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.