Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Highlighted
Mate

I command guage

Hello  

• I bought a 3 year old boat with a 2014 E tec 200hp Ho.  It has 2 I Command guages.  When I fill the fuel tank absolutely full it reads 83 percent.   How can I make it accurate ?  

Admiral

Re: I command guage

There are quite a few variables.  First make sure the gauge setup is correct on tank capacity and you may have to reconfigure the 2,3, or 5 point calibrations. Refer to the operators guide that came with the gauge.

If you do not have one, go to http://www.operatorsguides.brp.com , select EVINRUDE> ACCESSORIES > USER GUIDES > 

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Mate

Thanks for the reply .. not sure how someone knows they have 25 percent of a tank without starting from zero .. ugh
Captain

The most common problem is an inaccurate tank sending unit, the resistance in these units can change over time and wear, as well as the connections to the sending unit getting corroded. The more points that can be calibrated, the more accurate your gauge will be. The standard for boat fuel sending units in the U.S. is 240 ohms empty and about 30 ohms full. If a tank is a rectangular shape you can remove the sending unit and move the float to various points to calibrate it. I suggest removing the wires from your sending unit and checking the resistance across the sending unit first. The most accurate calibration method which also will account for irregular shaped tanks such as v bottom tanks is to start with it empty and calibrate the gauge as you fill it.
Mate

I am craving an analog guage with a big E and a big F on each side.

The boat has one engine and one tank. Its not on a trailer and the fuel tank is built into the hull. I am going to run it out of fuel .. without ever really knowing how much is left .. then tell the guage its empty then fill it then tell the guage it's full and if I do anything wrong I just do the whole thing over again ... is this actually the plan the guage maker came up with ?
Mate

The boat has 83 hours on it since new. I feel like I'm missing something.. sitting at the fuel pump and running out of fuel cant be part of the plan ..
Captain

Most of the time we use a new sending, attach it to the tank unit wires and do a 3 point calibration. This gets the gauge as close as an analog gauge would be.
The process of pumping the tank empty and doing a 5 point calibration while filling up will result in a very accurate gauge.