Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Highlighted
Skipper

Icon Premium

Hi. I just  bought a new skiff with a new 175 G2 on it, model # C175WXPAF, the "Basic" control lever and a "Nautilis" guage.

No surprise.....the fuel level function does not read.

For me the most attractive option seems to be to buy a "Premium" control. Were I to do this, is it truly" plug and play" or would a trip to the dealer's laptop  be required to configure things?

Thanks !!!!

Highlighted
Captain

Re: Icon Premium

An Icon Premium control would require calibration with dealer diagnostic software.
Installing a NMEA fluid level converter to connect your analog fuel sender to the NMEA network would give you fuel readings on the Nautilus gauge.
Highlighted
Skipper

Re: analog/digital converter.... can I pick this signal up at the existing analog guage and keep the guage operational, or does the converter need to be connected to a dedicated  sender, eliminating the analog guage ? Thanks !!!!

Highlighted
Captain

You would have to disconnect the analog gauge.
Highlighted
Skipper

So I'm reading the instructions for my brandy new Navico/Lowrance/Simrad converter, and they are telling me in order to do a 5 point calibration I must start with an empty tank, then fill it, then do 3/4 , 1/2 , and 1/4 in descending order. Seems kind of illogical. Is it possible to go the gas pump with an empty tank and add 19.25 gals 4 times, calibrating along the way? 

Highlighted
Captain

Yes, filling the tank 1/4 at a time is the most accurate method. It adds to accuracy if the angle of the boat on the trailer is close to the angle that the boat sits in the water.

The "in the water" method of doing a two point calibration (empty/full) then stopping on the water to set the 3/4, 1/2, and 1/4 calibration points after your fuel data shows you have burned 19 gallons also gets a close setting.

With our modern cars that show us "miles to empty" we tend to run tanks very low.
On a boat you should always plan to return to dock with a 1/4 tank.