Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Highlighted
Skipper

Idle vibration with 60 hp E-tec

[ Edited ]

I have only run by new 2016 60 hp E-tec a few times, but am very pleased with the power, noise level and fuel economy.  However, one thing I noticed immediately is that at idle the motor creates a vibration that causes the leaning post to vibrate enough to make you bleary-eyed when looking at it (and rattles anything solid stored in it) and not really want to lean against it unless you're in the mood for a butt massage.  My dealer was advised by Evinrude to try a stainless steel prop, so we installed a Rogue 4 blade.  Amazingly, the new prop resulted in even worse vibration, which was confirmed by my wife when we tested both props at a boat launch.  When touching the motor while at idle there isn't a vibration that is any worse than my old 3 cylinder 60 hp.  However, the frequency of the vibration that it does have must just create a resonance in my boats transom/hull  (1994 Maritime Skiff 16) that is more pronounced.

There aren't a lot of options for dealing with this issue, but one that I am considering is trying a Vibra-Stop pad (Quickmarine).  The question I have is should I use rubber washers (neoprene or EPDM) on the interior of the transom to try to achieve a little more vibration dampening?

Highlighted
Admiral

Re: Idle vibration with 60 hp E-tec

By changing the freqency of the vibrations, your noise can either be lessened or eliminated.  Besides padding the inside of the leaning post, you can have the idle rpm of the engine changed slightly which

may be the quickest and easiest fix.

I am not familiar with Vibra-Stop but some dealers will fabricate a StarBoard piece of plastic to mount between the transom and the engine bracket.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Highlighted
Skipper

What would be the highest acceptable idle rpm?  Thanks.

Highlighted
Admiral

In gear idle range is from 750 to 850 rpm.

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Highlighted
Skipper

The vibration is at its worst when idling out of gear.  What is the highest rpm then?  Thanks.

Highlighted
Admiral

800 rpm in neutral

Highlighted
Captain

I have the same problem with my 60hp, it is a two cylinder with large cubic inches, should have bought the detuned 60HO, my 75hp was a three cylinder, run perfect

Highlighted
Skipper

I would have liked the 60 HO, but it weighs 95 lbs more and I didn't want that extra weight.  I'm going to try Vibra-Stop pads and see if that helps.

Highlighted
Admiral

Be sure to let us know if there is any change after the Vibra-Pad is installed.

Highlighted
Skipper

[ Edited ]

I definitely will.  You may not hear about the outcome until the spring.  I am planning on having the service department where I purchased the motor install it and I may not be able to get an appointment until January.  I just winterized the motor, but after it's installed if I get too impatient I may fire up the engine if the weather is reasonable.  You can never tell in CT what our winter is going to be like.

It is unfortunate that the 2 cylinder engines aren't by default manufactured with the vibration reducing features of the pontoon series motors.  Certainly Evinrude must know that these engines may be more prone to vibration.  It seems like a no brainer to me.