Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Skipper

Looper center magnet position

Hi Bluewater Bill,

I am in need of some technical information That I have not been able to find anywhere.

I have a 1998 225 Ocean Pro. I have taken my time and trouble shooted the ignition/timing issue down to the flywheel. CDI Electronics offers a diagram for the relative position of the center magnet. It is not accurate to use to determine if the magnet moved 2-3 degrees, 10 yes but that does not help. I found a good second flywheel to compare and the magent positions are very slightly different and not sure which one is correct.

With the flywheel upside down ( looking at the center magnet) with the keyway at the 0 degree position, what is the actual position of the first mark clockwise. I can only guess at 50 degrees. I did read one comment on a position that the tolerance is only 0.5 degrees +/-. So I really need this position.

Thank you,

Seahorse

Admiral

Re: Looper center magnet position

The CDI Electronics illustration is the one mechanics refer to.  i do not recall any type of information from factory publications except they said back in 1988 that the dual powerpack looper V-block motors 85-87 used a different flywheel center magnet due to the QuickStart single pack ignition system and not to interchange.

When a center magnet comes loose, it moves more than 2-3° and often may be moved by hand using a firm grip

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.