Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Highlighted
Captain

Re: Midrange temp problem on 300 etec

Engine runs smoothe, not rough or missing, though I haven’t had it on a computer yet since I bought it, put around 40-35 hours mostly trolling with no issues, jumps right on plane and over all runs well, but as you can tell by my screen name, being an engineer I can’t help but want to dial it in.

I was looking at some props since last post , seems like the 4 blade cyclone, is 14.25 at 17p, that’s a full 1 inch less diameter than my current set up, that should also help with the rpm no?
Highlighted
Captain

It won't make much difference. I can tell you that I have known people running on 5 cylinders who noticed nothing except top end power. This one person bought a boat used and wasn't getting top end power, he starting messing with props only to find out he was running on 5. 

If you want to dial it in, start with engine height 

Highlighted
Captain

One other thing. I'm assuming your using a standard analog engine tachometer. If this instrument is not accurate (and they usually aren't) this will through off your slip calculations and your propping calculations. Using EvDiag is the best way to do these experiments and calculations.

Highlighted
Admiral

What make, size and weight boat, what top speed, where is the anti-ventilation plate in relation to the bottom of the keel?

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Highlighted
Captain

So I probably should have started a new post for the prop since this was my midrange temp problem post, but too late so here goes,

2012 hydra sport, 2300 vector with a fiberglass ttop and radar dome, spec says 3800 dry so about 4000 with full load out, has a relatively deep v, probably around 22 degrees.

Haven’t checked the ventilation plate height yet as I’m up in Jersey and haven’t had it back in the water since I read about that.

As mentioned in my other post the guy before me put the transducer like 8 inches of center line and it has those super big intake grates along with bottom paint,

That all said I’m running around 41-43 wot at 5100-5200 maybe 5300 on a really flat day, with a 15.25 x 19 p