Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Highlighted
Skipper

New Gear Ratio in Standard 115 E-TEC (DSL / DGL)...

I  am  an  EVINRUDE  Dealer  in  my  Place  (Greece,  Crete,  Chania),  and  i  have  just  sold  an  EVINRUDE  115  DSL...

The  Engine  is  brand  new,  2015  Modelyear,  Date  of  Manufacture  12-2014  (yes,  2  months  Model),  and  the  Model  Nr.  is  E115 DSLAFB...

I  thought  that  this  Engine  had  2.00 : 1  Gear  Ratio,  but  my  Test  Drives  showed  that  something  is  not  right...

With  an  Aluminium  Propeller  19"  Pitch  i  have  see  6100-6200 rpm  and  45.5 mph  with  GPS...

That 's  why  i 've  searched  and  i  have  found  that  the  last  character  "B"  in  the  Model  Nr.,  make  the  difference...

The  E115 DSLAFA  have  the  Standard  Gear  Ratio  2.00 : 1...

The  E115 DSLAFB  (White)  and  DGLAFB  (Graphite),  have  the  same  Gear  Ratio  like  the  Pontoon  Series  115  (SNL),  (26/11 = 0.42 = 2.36 : 1)...

For  me,  is  a  very  good  improvement,  and  i  hope  that  they  do  this  improvement  and  to  the  other  Models,  75,  90,  90 H.O.  and  130...

This  will  improve  Performance  with  the  Boat  loaded...

The  115 H.O.  could  be  with  2.00 : 1  Gear  Ratio,  for  light  applications...

That  was  my  first  Post  and  i  hope  that  's  only  the  beginning...

With  Best  Regards...

Petros  Mousourakis

Highlighted
Admiral

Re: New Gear Ratio in Standard 115 E-TEC (DSL / DGL)...

Welcome to E-NATION, Petros

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Highlighted
Captain

Hi Petros, service builletin 2014-01(S) refers to what you have discovered. The I-3 90HP now also use this new gear ratio.

Cheers,

Huey.

Highlighted
Skipper

Hi  Huey...

Thank  you  for  your  reply...

You  were  very  informative...

Obviously,  you  are  an  EVINRUDE  Dealer  also...

I  requested  this  specific  Service  Bulletin  for  115  from  our  Technical  Manager  here  in  Greece  and  he  sent  it  to  me...

For  me  is  very  good  that  they  have  change  and  the  Gear  Ratio  of  Standard  90...

Can  you  inform  me  what  is  the  Service  Bulletin  that  says  this  improvement  for  90...?

Thank  you  very  much...!

Petros

Highlighted
Skipper

Hi  BluewaterBill...

Thank  you  for  your  welcome...

Petros

Highlighted
Captain

Hi Petros, I have not seen the service bulletin for the I-3, but have fitted a few and needed to re-think propping and if you go to the parts catalogues on line you will see how the latest I-3 90HP run this different ratio. Better performance from the I-3 90HP amd propping is easier.

Cheers,

Huey.

Highlighted
Skipper

Hi  Huey...!

I  have  searched  in  the  PartSmart  and  i  've  seen  that  the  E90 DSL / DPL / DPGL  have  the  Standard  Gear  Ratio  2.00 : 1...

Only  the  E90 SL / SNL  have  the  2.36 : 1  Gear  Ratio,  and  i  think  that  they  are  both  Pontoon  Engines...

Whats  the  difference  between  SL  &  SNL  (they  are  both  White)  i  dont  know,  but  i  think  that  they  are  both  Pontoon...

And  Pontoon  Series  come  not  in  Europe...

What  a  pity...