Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Skipper

No Oil Alarm After Winterizing Procedure??

I have a brand new (April 2017) Etec 90HO. It was good to me all summer through the end of September. Due to other obligations I couldn’t get it out all of October, but got it out today for one last time before winter. It started right up as normal and I let it warm up a little before heading out to my fishing spot (only about 45 degrees out). It ran normal all the way to my fishing spot and I shut it down while I fished for only a couple hours. Since I hadn't ever done it before, I decided to try the winterizing procedure while I was on the lake. Referencing the manual, I went step by step through the winterizing procedure. Everything seemed to work as it should, and I was confident that it winterized. So I fished a little longer, and decided to head in. I started the motor and all was normal. As I let it warm up and put my gear away the NO OIL alarm sounded and lit up. Figuring it had something to do with the winterizing I shut it down and let it sit a few minutes thinking it would reset the alarm. I started it back up and continued putting my gear away. Again, about 30 seconds later the alarm sounded and NO OIL light turned on. Reservoir was 3/4 full. Tried again, same result. I tried to accelerate, but it was obviously in safe mode as it wouldn’t go over 1200 rpm....even at 1200 rpm it shook like crazy, so I had to back off to about 1000 rpm. I shut it down again and thought that maybe there somehow got an air bubble in the system. I went through the winterizing sequence again in an attempt to flush out any air bubbles. Started motor again and after about 45 seconds and a huge anount of smoke the alarm and light came on again.
Turned motor off again.

Now here is where I really scratch my head. Thinking that since the alarm didn’t come on for about 30-45 seconds after starting, I started the motor back up and after about 3-4 seconds accerated up to speed. No alarm. I accelerated to WOT. No alarm. It ran great! I drove all the way back to the ramp thinking I solved whatever problem there was. As I approached the ramp I decelerated down to idle and shut the motor off once at the dock.

My wife held the boat at the dock as I pulled my truck around. Once I got the trailer in the water, I got back in the boat and started it. No problem...yet. As I started lining my boat up to the trailer, the NO OIL alarm sounded and lit up again!!!!

Frustrated, I put it on the trailer, ran through the winterizing sequence again, and put the dang thing in storage for the winter. Problem now is I’m going to be thinking about it all winter long!

Any ideas on what the problem might be?? Any help is much appreciated!

Mike
Highlighted
Admiral

Re: No Oil Alarm After Winterizing Procedure??

If the temperature was below 40°F and the oil tank did NOT have XD-100 lubricant in it, then the NO OIL alarm could have been from thickened oil due to the outside temp.  It is mentioned in your operator's guide to use XD-100 is cold weather.  If that was not the case, it is recommended to have your dealer check out the engine when you remove it from storage and before you use it.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Skipper

Yes, I’m running XD-100. But the temp was above 40 degrees.

Why would it trigger the alarm after about 30-40 seconds of idiling, but not when I throttled up on the next start-up before the 30-40 second mark? And then again idling when I put it on the trailer?
Admiral

Without troubleshooting the system, all we can say is that it may be an intermittent erroneous signal occurrence or and intermittent oil pump anomaly. There is a short delay when the motor is first fired up before the alarm system activates. Either way, your dealer should be able to duplicate and repair the malfunction for you when you take it in.

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Skipper

Pretty disappointing for a brand new motor. I may pull it back out of storage and get it to the shop now so I don’t have to deal with it in the spring.

I would assume this will be covered under the warranty??
Admiral

Yes, it is probably a component malfunction which is warranty.

Skipper

Thanks Bill. I called the dealer this morning and hope to get it in there this week.