Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Mate

Normal water pressure

2017 90 E-Tec over heated. With 32 hours on my new motor the hot/temp warning went off at cruising speed yesterday. I immediately put it in nuetral and the warning light went off. Up until now I have not paid attention to the water pressure gauge but started watching it after that. At 2000 rpm it reads 15 - 20 PSI but at cruising speed it drops to 2-5 PSI. It is noteworthy that I have made long runs before at cruising speed with no issues. This has me puzzled and curious. Should the water pressure increase with rpm and speed? I did all of the basic checks recommended in the manual and everything looks fine. Today is Sunday and tomorrow I will contact the dealer for service. I am only two months into my 10 year warranty.

I love my new Etec and apologize for the long post for a simple water pressure question. 

Highlighted
Admiral

Re: Normal water pressure

A loss of water pressure as the boat speeds up is often a sign of disturbed water flow coming off the back of the boat. Have there been any additions or changes to items mounted on the transom such as transducers, trim tabs, thru-hull fittings, etc.?

In some cases the mounting mounting height could be a problem as could trimming the motor out too far. It would be best to have your dealer check the engine over and run the aerated water test procedure if needed.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.