Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Captain

Oppinions on proper propping 2019 E-TEC 135 HO

Well I've had a chance to break in my new 2019 E-TEC E135HGLABL S/N 05545150 and have a total of 29 hrs on it!

It's a great engine, and it has been a fun summer with it. I recently hooked up my NMEA cable to my Lowrance and have had a chance to look at some statistics.

It seems I can and should be looking at changing the prop and maybe dropping the motor by one hole.

Prop is an aluminum 14.5x19 PN 765188

At WOT I'm getting 46.7MPH GPS trimmed to highest speed.  TPS says 98% and won't go further.  RPM on NMEA = 5387~5398.  I can't say where the anti vent plate sits during 25mph cruise becasue... well, I'm driving. I will get a friend to have a look next season. But the prop can slip in turns at cruise with about 55% trim (on analog gauge) and at WOT speeds with trim at about 75~80%.

I think that the max RPM is low and I want to correct this to protect the motor.

What should I consider for a prop?  Aluminum is ok with me but if I have to go to SS then I will do so.

Motor is currently mounted on the middle hole on the bottom. It's on an 17.5' Lund

Any advice where to start?  I know I'll have to test quite a bit but a ballpark suggestion would be great.  Thanks

IMG_2656.jpg

IMG_2247.jpg

IMG_7313.jpg

Admiral

Re: Oppinions on proper propping 2019 E-TEC 135 HO

A 17" stainless steel prop will both bring your top rpm up more to the middle of the recommended operating range plus the better blade design will likely stay "hooked up" in the turns better and possibly increase speed a bit.

If you plan to remain with an aluminum prop, then lower the motor one hole.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Captain

Which 17" SS model do you think I should start with?
Mate

Funny I had the same recommendation on my rig. Engine in wrong hole & prop too big. Mine is venting with a 15. Good luck
Admiral

@KevinD wrote:
Which 17" SS model do you think I should start with?

If you can try several types, start with a Viper 17"

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Captain

Fwiw, I settled on the V6 SSP TBX, 15" Pitch prop.

Although my boat is 18' with a 2' engine pod.

Captain

Alyaz what are your numbers? Rpm and speed. I know that bad boy is broken in now. Are you able to trim the bow down at high speed without porpoising of the bow?

Captain

Yes the boat rides really well, no porpoising.  Over 110 hours in a few months.  I don't have trim tabs but the engine trim does everything I need it to.  42 mph at 5800 rpm.   One person, full tank (120 L of fuel) and gear.  

Not that you asked, but I love the torque this thing has.  I got my chuckles a few times this fishing season when I limited out... I'd idle away from any boats that may have been fishing in the area (just so as not to "be that guy') and then I'd crack it.  Immediately on plane.  This engine just sings... hehe... 

Having said that, the new G2 140 horse engine does have me wondering...  But guess it's like electronic toys... You can't keep up with the changes so don't try.

Highlighted
Captain

Yea it sounds cool But you would be getting 700 cc less. It would be a big loss off cc not just 10 hp. There is no replacement for displacement. What you would get is cool factor and mpg and 5k out of your pocket. Your motor is very nice looking...   you had a good fishing season.