Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Mate
Accepted Solution

Prop help! Lund 1875 Crossover With a 175 Etec G2

My Father and I recently purchased a ned Lund Crossover XS 1875 (18' 10") weighing about 1600lbs. We are concerned that the prop the dealer has on will really limit our top speed at WOT.

Currently the boat is equipped with a Viper 20" pitch SS prop. To the best of my understanding this prop will likely get us to only around 45Mph? This seems awfully low considering our much heavier fiberglass boat could achieve 52Mph with a 150 Suzuki.

Can anybody please give me some advise on what prop to select prior to us picking up the boat as we have to travel 15 hours to pick it up! We ideally want a prop that is capeable of around 50Mph at WOT, good on fuel at cruising, and good for general use aluminum boats. 

Typical boat use: 3 people, 2 trolling batteries. Occasional watersports including tubing. 

Any advice is greatly appreciated!!

Admiral

Re: Prop help! Lund 1875 Crossover With a 175 Etec G2

Your boat is compares closely with the 185 Alumacraft.

A Viper is not the best prop for your type of rig. A Rebel with a  19" or 21" pitch would be a good starting point as would a 20" RX4.  

Engine height is critical for good performance so start with the 3rd hole mounting height. The 4th hole may even be needed but can be determined with a sea trial.

Evinrude drivers ran an Alumacraft 185 last summer in 4th hole on the nationwide Edge demo tour and it reached 54mph with a 22Rx4  propeller.

Remember that most testing is trial and error and it is important to work with a dealer who is willing to work with you.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Mate

Thank you very much! I appreciate the insight.
Captain

Even though as a tech I have not rigged a boat similar to yours my experience with G2's leads me to agree with Bill. The 20" RX4 would likely be the best option. In most cases propping a boat for best cruise mileage, top speed, and power for tubing would be impossible and require 3 different props. With the unique torque curve and fuel efficiency of the G2 engine you will find propping with a pitch in the high end of the rpm range will give you max speed and the incredible G2 torque will still pull a tube. Going from a 4 stroke to a G2 you are going to get a very different boating experience. Just make sure that you are seated or holding on to something when you accellerate.
We would appreciate you posting comments in the review section of this site after you have used your new boat.