Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Posts: 1
Registered: ‎01-17-2018

Repower - Do I need new controls?

I am looking to repower my 1994 Intruder GLERV to a newer E-Tec. I can get a 2015, 2017, or a 2018 brand new E-tec. But I am wondering what parts I need to convert. Would this involve all new controls, new oil tank?


Thanks for the help and insight!

Posts: 7,111
Registered: ‎07-14-2011

Re: Repower - Do I need new controls?


Hi, welcome to E-NATION


There was a major wiring change back in 1996 and your wiring harness and oil tank will not work with newer motors without adapters, a SystemCheck gauge and other changes. Not only that but your 1994 controls and such are already 24 years old and may not be in the best shape.


If you are buying a new engine soon, you can either choose 10 years of factory coverage or free rigging and controls with 5 years of coverage. Talk to your dealer about the options you have.






"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 



The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.