Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Mate

Should I Re-power with an ETEC?

I run a 1988 Chapparal 19' bow-rider w/ a 175 Johnson outboard that I bought new in the summer of 1988, this motor is now 30 years old and I have never had anything serious go wrong with it (blown magneto was biggest repair) I have been having alot of problems trying to get the carbueration system dialed in and after many good years on this motor am considering re-powering my boat. I am hugely loyal to the OMC brand (see above reason why) and prefer the 2-stroke technology over the 4-strokes, and would love to drop a 175 GT on the back, but am nervous about reading so many blogs about big, major problems with the ETEC's, question for anyone out there...is this just a few bad apples making internet noise? or are these motors still suspect? Its a lot of $$$ to lay out there if I am going to be spending all my time driving back and forth to the dealer for repairs and diagnostics!!

Admiral

Re: Should I Re-power with an ETEC?

You are absolutely correct about the internet and the repeatability of misinformation. It's not just in the boating world but all manufacturers and other companies are victims of misperception spread through internet forums and newsgroups. A person may have a problem with their motor and post the situation either asking for assistance or to complain. Those posts are picked up and often repeated over time so eventually, it seems like there are multiple problems with a product, when the truth is that the number is actually very small.

Today and until March 31st, Evinrude wants to prove to you that they believe in and stand behind their E-TEC G2 engines by offering a 10-year factory coverage on any new E-TEC engine. Another option is to receive free rigging, controls, and gauges with 7-years protection.

As with any technical product, be sure you are purchasing from an authorized dealer who has the training and experience in setting up Evinrudes correctly. You may have noticed that most of the problems that you may have read about most often stem from improper installation or came with the wrong propeller for the application. Other instances are from allowing a motor to sit unused for months or years at a time without a proper storage procedure or stabilizing the remaining gasoline in the system. Of course occasional situations may arise with that type of neglect.

The E-TEC G2 is the cleanest running outboard currently available according to the EPA data. G2 also had the best mid-range torque for exceptional throttle response and performance and in addition, has better fuel economy than practically every other 4-stroke outboard.

We believe you will be very happy with your new Evinrude E-TEC G2 175 ro 200 HP outboard. Be sure to tell us how nice it was to cut your fuel consumption in half and consume much less oil than your venerable 175 did. We want to hear from you and to welcome you into the fast-growing Evinrude E-TEC family.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Highlighted
Captain

If you have the cash I’d drop a g2 175 on it in a heartbeat. It will be night and day man.
Captain

Also the posts about etec failure rate vs other motors are hogwash.

As long as your fuel is clean, and you are careful to never leave ethonol cut gasoline in it for a length of time for it to varnish and gum up it will be awesome. This goes for any outboard really. The performance / torque curve of the etec will be unparalleled.

How the heck can you go wrong with a 10 year warrante?