Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Skipper

Should I add a second fuel filter

I have a 2017 250hp etec. Currently single fuel filer on the engine. Does it make any sense , or just add problems to add a racor fuel filter /water seperator inline prior to the engine mounted fuel filter.

Admiral

Re: Should I add a second fuel filter

Having a quality fuel-water separator filter in the boat is recommended by Evinrude and that is stated also in the Pre-delivery and Installation guide.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Captain

I know that having the additional Racor style fuel / water filter is also just a nice and easy way to check things before start up each day.  It is easy to see if there is water in the bowl.  So in addition to being recommended, for me it makes good sense too.  

Captain

The mechanic that did your install should have insisted on it.  You want one for the health of your motor..

Skipper

I'm the second owner so I'm not sure what took place when the engine was iinstalled. The current cannistor filter mounted on the engine under the cowling is a fuel/water seportaer filter.  So I do undertand the above repsones even though the engine mounted filter will seperate water it's adisable to add another racor water fuel filter inline before the engine mounted filter. I have no problem doing this but on another boat I did this to years ago the two filters cuased restriction and starved the engine.  I thinking using a filter like this one below?  What Micron cartridge should be used, 2, 10 or 30

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/racor--b32013-spin-on-fuel-filter-water-separator-10-microns--411462?...

Admiral

You will not have too much restriction if you use an outboardmanufacturer's or a quality aftermarket fuel-water separator.  Evinrudes are designed for that. The Installation and Pre-Delivery Guide gives the specifications for a filter.

The Racor type filter is very popular and high quality.  It is recommended that the filter be either 10 or 28 micron as the engine mounted filter is 10 micron.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.