Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Highlighted
Skipper

Should I use Fuel from last season that wasn’t stabilized?

Re: 2018 g2. Didn't get around to adding stabilizer to fuel at end of last season in late October 2019 or winterizing. Boat is in Michigan. Wondering best course this spring. Bought the boat beginning of last season 3/19 with the 135 gal tank 3/4 full. I added around 50 -70 gal throughout season of combination of rec fuel at station and “marine fuel” at marina. End of last season had just under half a tank, aprox 50 gal. should I pump out fuel left in the tank and refill with new. Took the boat out on Lake Erie yesterday for first of season. Started well. May have idled slightly tougher early than I remembered last season but maybe I was just paranoid. Water was ver cold.
Highlighted
Captain

Re: Should I use Fuel from last season that wasn’t stabilized?

Pump the old fuel out and use fresh fuel.
It is not worth the risk that the old fuel "may be ok". If any of the old fuel was an ethanol blend you will likely have some phase seperation which results in some "white goo" getting pumped through your system.
Highlighted
Skipper

Thanks.
Highlighted
Skipper

Highlighted
Admiral

E-TEC outboards run best on fresh fuel or properly treated fuel due to its unique and low-emission style of fuel injection and stratified combustion at lower speeds.  Pump it out to be on the safe side plus use the correct amount of Evinrude 2+4 for the first tank to help pickup any residual moisture and/or phase separated compounds.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Highlighted
Skipper

Thanks for the quick response. I’ll pump it out and replace. I usually only use 10 to 20 gal per fishing trip. Does it hurt to keep the 135 gal tank only around half full? If it’s better for the engine I’d be glad to keep close to full. I’d like to avoid the extra weight especially as I tow it much. Also is it best to drain the tank each season when storyfor winter? Thanks again
Highlighted
Admiral

Store the fuel tank full and use the Evinrude 2+4 all the time. A full tank has less room for condensation during day-nite temperature changes

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Highlighted
Captain

Use the fuel for your auto,at the end of each season; I burn all leftover fuel in snowmobiles or autos!