Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Captain

So, you want to enter the world of pro fishing.....

You have dreamed about it...... Even tried to plan a little........ What would you like to know from the pros about taking the BIG STEP???
Captain

Re: So, you want to enter the world of pro fishing.....

What r your first steps in getting a sponsor to get on board?

Captain

Well as I still wait on a response my fishing team has compiled a small resume of our past performance. This year will be our second as a team and have locked in several tournaments that we r fishing. We have not won a tourney yet but have a few top 10's even got invited to nationals. We also set a state record in the blackfin tuna class at a local fishing rodeo. I guess my question is r these the things that will help getting a sponsor? 

Captain

What you are doing fishing wise sounds good but keep in mind a sponsor wants you to do well..... But most importantly wants you to help promote and sell their product. You have to show them why they need you on their team. Yes.... Fishing tournament wins are great, but I know many anglers who have not won a tournament in years and still hold the best sponsors.... Why? Because they SELL product by promoting it. No promotion..... No sponsors. You have to be willing to go to shows, take people fishing even when you have only had 4 hours sleep on a tournament day, shake hands, write articles, GET COVERAGE in media for sponsors. It all adds up. The more eyes you can put on a product the better. So in your resume, show your performance but tell them how you intend to promote them. A fisherman with his hand out saying .... Give me stuff.... Without a plan for showing a return on investment to the sponsor is an automatic..... No thank you. I hope this helps. Sorry for delay in answer.... I've been fishing and promoting too!! Keep tight lines!!! Dan
Highlighted
Captain

Great answer Dan! I get this question many times a year. Everyone wants to be paid to fish and it simply does not work this way. Sponsorships have tightened up with the economy. Anglers must work harder than ever to stay in the sport of competitive bass fishing. It's tough trying to break into the sport in these difficult times. You either need to win some major events and capitalize on the promotions...or start working with product reps and work your way up. It's still very doable but guys need to know there’s a lot more to being a pro angler than the fishing part. I don't want to sound negative it's a GREAT sport and one that takes working at like everything else. Wishing all newcomers the best of luck, we need new blood in the sport to grow. See you on the water Smiley Happy

Mate

Great answers by Dan Morehead and Gary Dobyns.  Ask yourself why the company you are approaching would want to work with you and how you could benefit them by promoting and selling their products.  Always remember that carrying yourself with integrity and class will go a long way in building your reputation with sponsors, even when you have bad days and don't feel well.  There are times when pros only have 1 fish to bring to the scales, and finish at the bottom of the standings - it's during those times when you still have the opportunity to promote your sponsors and do the job that they want you to do in communicating with the public.  Never give up and keep after it!

Captain

[ Edited ]

I agree with all of the above - and I will try to expound a little.

First - look at the products that you believe in and the companies that you trust.  I started with Evinrudes when I was young (still have my Grandfathers Evinrude) and my first tourney rig was powered by Evinrude.  Certain Evinrude will also power my last!

Look where others aren't looking - all of the endemics (companies inside the fishing industry) get bombarded with requests.  Look outside of fishing - A chiropractor that has helped make your life more comfortable? An auto dealer that is trust worthy and has been fair to deal with? Your insurance agent that has taken care of your needs fairly?

Try interviewing potential Promotional Partners ( I use this word instead of sponsors) and ask them a few questions:

1. "If I can provide you with a great value - are you looking to invest in additional promotions?"  (They may not be looking at the time - or it may be 3, 6, 9 or 12 months down the road before they even want to start discussing future promotional opportunities.)
  2. "What are you looking for and what do you need in promotions.?" (If you feel you can provide them the performance they are looking for at an affordable price - put together a proposal or a plan (it really doesn't have to be extremely fancy - I sometimes just use simple bullet points) and present it to them.  If they do not need any additional promotions or if you cannot provide what they are looking for - wait for a future opportunity or move on.
  3. "What would you be willing to invest for these promotional efforts?"  If it is a number you both agree on - you've got a promotional partner.

Then simply deliver everything you promised honestly and professionally.

Hopes this helps - and keep the questions coming!