Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Skipper

Squealing noise when trimming down.

Have a 2012 Etec 150 and sometimes when trimming down it makes a horrible squealing sound...sometimes not at all.  Just started this a few days ago.  Any ideas?

Captain

Re: Squealing noise when trimming down.

I'll assume it only does this in the tilt range (moves fast) and not the trim range (moves slow).

Mine does it too. You can grease the nipples on the tilt tube with Triple Guard, but ultimately what helped mine (at first) is tightening the tilt tube nut on the starboard side. Only about 1/6th of a turn should do it.

Again, that helped mine for one season, but it started again and I'm not sure i want to tighten that nut anymore. So when i take it in for the 3-year service this winter i'm going to ask the tech to address it since it's still under warranty.
2017 Tidewater 1910 Baymax
Evinrude 150HO (M: E150HGXABH S/N: 05500627H MFDate: 6/17)
Admiral

There are several things that can make screeching sounds in a power trim unit

• air in the fluid, low fluid level - check  quality and amount of trim oil
  • tilt tube bushings dry -  sometimes it helps to loosen the tilt tube nut and grease the fittings generously
  • spread Evinrude Triple Guard grease on the trim and the tilt rams and contact pads
  • spray a penetrating oil up inside the upper and lower pivot pins. In severe cases, remove the upper pin, clean and grease well, replace bushings if needed.
  • if motor shakes or jerks going down, tighten the tilt tube nut one flat at a time until it stops

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Skipper

Thank you for the reply's.  What I've found is that if I apply a little pressure in the upward direction on the motor as it is coming down on the fast cycle it does not do this, as soon as I let go of the motor is when it starts.  Kinda strange.

Admiral

@Whatever44 wrote:

Thank you for the reply's.  What I've found is that if I apply a little pressure in the upward direction on the motor as it is coming down on the fast cycle it does not do this, as soon as I let go of the motor is when it starts.  Kinda strange.

Not strange, that just means that the tilt tube nut has to be tightened to add some drag to the system. Tighten the nut one flat at a time until the noise and any jerking disappear. 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Highlighted
Skipper

Thank you!  I'll give that a try.

Skipper

Bill or anyone else for that matter.  Can you give me a picture of the nut to tighten?  I'm not getting any results.  Just want to be sure we are talking about the same thing.  I've been using inboard motors for years now so I'm still trying to learn the ins and outs of the newer outboards...

Thanks for any help.

Skipper

In researching this it appears the problem is not lubrication but actually lack of friction so spraying it to much could make it worse. Tightening the starboard tilt tube nut increases friction at the pivot point and stops the engine from dropping down too quickly for the tilt rod to keep up with it. That's why it only happens at a certain time when tilting down and not up, and also why the noise stops as soon as you enter the trim phase. You can test this by putting some upward pressure on the engine as it is lowered to slow its decent. Push up on the skeg if out of the water or pull up on the engine cover as it is being lowered. If the noise goes away when you do this it will isolate the issue. Just be careful not to pull up too hard on the engine cover as it is only plastic and could crack. The nut is bit tricky to grab especially if you have hydraulic steering but you only need about 1/6 to 1/4 of a turn to make a difference.
Skipper

Can't see how to post a picture here. It is the Large nut on the starboard side of the tilt tube that is right up against the starboard transom bracket.
Admiral

I believe the pivot tube nut takes a 1-1/4" open end or crows foot wrench