Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Skipper

Steering & tilt - strange noise

When tilting the engine there is a strange ticking noise, sort of like a small pump (hydraulic possibly) struggling to do something. When I tilt, this noise runs on for 20 seconds and slowly fades away.

It also happens with the steering function, albeit less often.

Anyone had this experience? What could it be? 

Skipper

Re: Steering & tilt - strange noise

My engine is a G2, 300. One year old. Boat been in storage for three months.

Captain

Are you referring to tilting with the engine running, just the key on, or when you use trim switch on the engine with everything off.
There could be air in the steering hydraulic system causing the steering assist motor to run for a short time. Pressing the trim button on the engine with everything off "wakes up" the system for about 30 seconds so that could cause the steering pump to run.
Highlighted
Skipper

Thanks for the response. Its certainly sounding like a pump trying to pressurize something.

I’m hearing the noise when the engine is off, with key in both on and off position. It may be happening when running, yet with engine noise is masking this. 

Would you consider this a critical or non-urgent issue?

Captain

It should be diagnosed by a dealer. Air in the system would not cause a loss of steering but it could cause dangerous steering play at high speed.
Mate

Hello rdblack, 

I saw your post on the E-Nation.   

I appear to be having the same issue as you did.  

One year old G2 150 hp with dynamic power steering.

My engine ran greart all Summer.  Boat has been sitting for about 6 weeks.  

Went for one last ride and to winterize.  

When I tilted engine on trailer, no engine running yet, I hear whirring sound for a couple seconds after.

Seems to spin fast then wind down slow then stop.

Sound coming from trim motor/steering unit?    

Put in lake and started.  Made simliar noise in gear at idle.  Went away as soon as I moved steering wheel.

Don't think I heard it again for rest of day until I parked on trailer and put trim kickstand back on.

Still makes noise intermittently when tilting.

Did you sort out the problem?

Was it you steering hydraulic fluid?  

Please let me know.

Thanks,

Chris

Captain

Best deal, your engine is covered by warranty so you should ask your dealer about your concerns. As an Evinrude dealer I'd rather hear concerns from a customer in the off season than have them call the first day of spring saying they need their engine fixed today.