Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Mate

Steering stiffness with Brand New 2016 90HP HO Tiller

Hey 

I was hoping someone out there might know a solution to a developing problem I have with my new 90HP HO.  We have had it out on the water maybe 20 times this year and the last couple outings it has been near impossible for my wife to steer it (low or high speeds) and I certyainly am struggling at times.  It seems like it is getting tougher with each outing.  There is only one knob that I am aware of to adjust the tension but it is backed off completely.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Is this a common problem with a simple fix (fingers crossed as I still have a lot of fishing to do this open water season.  It is on a new 2017 Alumacraft 185 Competitor and has a stainless steel Viper prop (details I can't recall off the top).

Thanks in advance

Frozenflyguy

Captain

Re: Steering stiffness with Brand New 2016 90HP HO Tiller

Have you used tripple guard grease to grease the pivot shaft? It is located behind the trailering bracket and can be seen when you flip it down.
Is it hard to steer only at higher speed, or only one direction? Does trim angle make a difference?
Admiral

Is it very easy to turn to full port and to full starboard when the motor is not running?

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Mate

Hey Bluewater Bill

It is not easy to turn when it is not running or even at very low idle.  

I have not tried grease yet as it was brand new not so long ago and I had assumed that it would have been ready to go from the dealer.  Do you grease the pivot  frequently? I'm going to give that a go next!!

One strange thing is that there are two gouges in the metal fastener that tightens the steering on that pivot.  For the life of us we have no idea what could have caused those marks as it seems to be safe from all contact in any motor direction tilted or down.  

Anyways... thanks a bunch for the help!

FFG

Admiral

See your dealer, it first has to be determined if it is the engine or the steering system which is at fault.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Captain

The fittings for both the tilt shaft and the steering shaft should be greased annually. You are correct that it should have been good when rigged but may have been under greased. I have a 90ho in stock that I can look at tomorrow but it isn't a tiller model.
Mate

Thanks for all the information gentlemen! We have contacted two local dealers and plan on taking it in ASAP though it looks like it could be a 4 week wait to get it back (**bleep**!).  Each of the dealers suggested that a hydraulic line might be pinched or not functioning but in my searches I can't find any mention that this motor has any hydraulic support???  Am I just missing something in my searches ... it is extremely hard to find detailed information online about this motor (tiller) that would help me better understand the inner workings?  Are there any hydraulics associated with this motor??  Since it is going in I am also having the RPM toggle looked at because as far as I can tell it actually has no impact on motor operations either in idle speed or at any speed.  The slowest I can get the boat to go is around 2.6 MPH according to my electronics.  Since you guys seem to be "in the know" ... should I be able to see/feel/hear any difference when trying to adjust RPM with this toggle??

Thanks again for all the information

FFG

Highlighted
Captain

It sounds like the dealers did not understand that it was a tiller model Evinrude. The touch troll switch will affect idle in neutral some but without checking exact specs, if the engine is in gear and throttle advanced above 1000 rpm each press of the button will increase rpm by 200 RPM. 10 presses would increase the engine to 2000 rpm. I would suggest rather than the boat sitting at the dealer for 4 weeks, ask if you can reserve a place in line and bring it to them in 3 weeks.
Mate

Thanks for this Rick!  I would love to book an appointment but both dealers local to me (within 2hrs) are not taking bookings and the one doesn't even have room on the lot for the boat to sit in line!  I'm sure hoping that the many in front of me are not Evinrude owners as well Smiley Happy.

You guys are great ... I will most certainly keep checking back here on a regular basis for all the goods!

Cheers

FFG

Captain

What is the model number on your engine?
The only nut that is on the steering pivot shaft is at the bottom and I couldn't find anything for a steering tension adjustment. I couldn't find any info in the parts catalog specific to a tiller model. I'll send you a private message with my email and perhaps you can send pictures.