Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Skipper

Too much oil injected into my 2014 E-tec 150

Hello - I'm new to E-nation and hoping to get some guidance. I have a 2014 150hp e-tec that is dumping too much oil into motor. Engine idles fine and will momenatrily get up on plane then bog down and not take throttle. Brought it to dealer, they went thru it completely and found nothing wrong expept motor was not tuned for HD 100 oil that I've been using. They did the tune and replaced the spark plugs that were fowled. Took boat out this weekend ran about 5 miles up the Columbia river,and  idled around as we put out duck decoys. Got up on plane to head back home, and motor bogged down again just like before. Oil sheen on water and I noticed I had gone thru about 1/3 gallon of oil in the 5 mile run up river. Engine idles like a top but boggs down when I apply throttle. Any ideas on what this could be? Could it be as simple as replacing the oil pressure sensor?

I would greatly appreciate any feedback....

Thanks

Steffen

Admiral

Re: Too much oil injected into my 2014 E-tec 150

We need more information to be able to assist you.

Has this started happening suddenly after running well for a few years or is this motor new to you? Has any recent service been done to the boat or motor before the problem  arose?

There are no more yearly designations, what is the complete model number printed on the serial number tag?

What is the top rpm and speed when the motor is running as it should? What boat is in on and what model and size propeller?

Have any of the warning lights come on recently and which one(s)?

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Skipper

Hello Bluewwter Bill - I appreciate you reaching out! Model E150DGLABB - Serial #05418381 Year/Month made 9/2014.

Engine family - EBCXMO 158222. Displacement 2.592L. I have it on a 20' Willie Predator Sled and I run a pump on it. At top RPM it runs 5500. 

I've owned the motor since new. It has 81.46 hrs on it as of last month when I brought it to a platiunum dealer in my area. I've never had even a hitch with it until now. The motor was tuned for TCW-3 oil when new- wasn't aware of tune for different oils. I've ran HD-100 oil since it was new with no signs of anything wrong. The dealer tuned it for HD-100, replaced spark plugs, fuel filter, water separator, used BRP software to monitor engine settings, did compression test, inspected fuel delivery and ran in lake at high RMP to see if issue would replicate itself which it didn't. They mentioned if problem does come up again they would consider replacing the the oil sensor and/or the oil pump. I ordered Pressure Sensor Assembly #0586860. Was going to install today but the one on the motor has 5 wires coming out (3 to sensor and 2 to top of oil pump) of mail electrical connector the one I ordered only has 3. But the part number and model numbers match up identical to each other and look identical ecxept the 5 vs 3 wire. Also a true Evinrude part not aftermarket. So little confused on that program too.

The problem presented itself at top RPM. Once presented it would take throttle for a few seconds like 4000rpm or so then bog down again. First time out after dealership went thru it I ran about 4 miles then idled putting out duck decoys then issue came after I tried to get up on step again. Idles fine and will take some throttle fine like 2500rpm then bogs down again.

The compuer read out from dealer shows the motor has never entered limp mode in it's life.

Pretty perplexed on this one. Last weekend to hunt ducks so gonna run my son and I up river 5 miles on 8HP kicker motor. Not looking forward to that hour of my life!

I truly appreciate you time reading this and any assistance you can give.

Thanks

Steffen

Skipper

one more thing - I just read on computer print out max rpm is 5944 although it's showing I've never had it that high which is weird because I've ran it wide open multiple times. It shows 1.8% of run time has been 5001-5500 rpm with none about that.

Admiral

According to a jet pump experienced tech, your engine may have a mis-adjusted reverse gate.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Captain

An oil pressure sensor problem which caused the engine to over oil would set a code and put the engine in s.a.f.e. mode, so likely not an oil sensor.
Engine oiling is determined by rpm, throttle position and load. As Bill reported, a reverse gate which was not fully open could be increasing engine load. Also load is sensed by the exhaust pressure sensor, the hose and fitting for this sensor can become clogged with carbon.
The max rpm on the engine report could be from a breif period of sucking air into the pump. The higher rpm may not have been for a long enough period of time for the rpm profile to record it.
Does your new oil sensor connection have 3 wires but space for five? I can't look at that connector until I get to the shop but may be that you have to remove the two pump wires from the connector on the engine and insert them into the connector on the new sensor.
Skipper

Thanks for input. Reverse gate appears to be fine. Yes sensor has 3 but space for 5. I thought about pulling the two out that come from the oil pump but they appear to have the same greenish silicone seal as the other 3 wires coming from sensor. Doesn’t appear like they pull out but I could be wrong on that one. Just don’t want to pull them out and screw something up if they’re not suooosed to be pulled out.
If anyone knows if installing the sensor requires the two wires from pump to be pulled out from the plug that would be super helpful infor.
Thanks for help Rick and Bill!!
Skipper

Oh and on the exhaust sensor not sure where that is and if it’s something a fella like me can check it/clean it or if that’s a mechanic complex type of thing.
Skipper

I believe you have a reverse gate out of adjustment.  The symptoms you describe are classic mis adjustment.  Make sure you adjust the shift cable to achieve positive lock into forward.  The gate should be tucked tightly beneath the outlet of the jet and you should not be able to pull it into the jetstream with two fingers.  

The engine is being severely bogged down due to the gate kicking into a "neutral" type position but you will still have some forward propulsion.  This is also the reason for your exhaust backpressure spike.