Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Highlighted
Skipper

Re: Trim gauge question??

Many thanks for this, I will have a look and see...stay tuned and thank you.

gc

Highlighted
Skipper

Hi again,

I have not been able to service this issue, where is the trim postion sensor on the motor exactly? I have a 2015 40hp Evinrude E-Tec. On the right side of my engine (facing aft) I see a black lever and attached to it is a ground wire and three other wires coming from the back going to the harness. The only screw I see seems to be a mounting screw for that unit, I am obviously looking at the wrong item. Is the position sensor in underneath the engine?

Thank you

Highlighted
Admiral

Look for the eccentric shaped cam that contacts the black trim sender lever and loosen the bolt to rotate the cam for adjustment.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Highlighted
Skipper

Can you send me a picture or diagram please?

Thank you

Highlighted
Admiral

Trim Sending Unit Adjustment
(40 – 60 HP)
The sending unit eccentric cam must be adjusted
so that the gauge needle is aligned with the lowest
gauge mark with the outboard trimmed all the way
DOWN.

When the outboard is trimmed all the way DOWN,
the sending unit lever touches the eccentric cam
just forward of the top of the cam at the contact
point.
Loosen cam screw and rotate eccentric cam to
adjust full down gauge position:
• If the needle was above the lowest mark, move
the thick part of the cam TOWARD the contact
point. Tighten the screw, and recheck the gauge
reading.

I'll try to get an illustration for you.

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Highlighted
Admiral

40 thru 60 HP trim lever adjust.JPG

Highlighted
Skipper

Thank you so very much with this, I do appreciate it. Hopefully I can be as helpful to someone in the future as you have shown me. Cheers!!!!

Highlighted
Admiral

Always glad to help.

Highlighted
Skipper

Hi,

I was wondering, I will be storing my boat and 40 hp Evinrude ETEC in my heated garage over the winter, should I still winterize the engine with the process outlined in the manual for winter storage?

Thank you in advance,

Greg

Highlighted
Admiral

Yes, stabilize the fuel to help preserve it with Evinrude 2+4 Fuel Conditioner then perform the winterizing procedure explained in the owners manual.

Wouldn't it be prudent to protect your investment as well as you can.?