Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Skipper
Accepted Solution

Viper # 763930 13 7/8 x 17 ss prop

Just ordered a 2015 75 hp e-tec to re-power my 1995 15 Dauntless whaler . Have seen tests with the Viper # 763930  prop on the Dauntless WOT 5300 to 5400 and speeds of 40 to 41 mph. Is this rpm range suitable for the 75 e-tec ? Also what would be the proper thrust washer and spacer, washer if any, for this Viper prop ?

Admiral

Re: Viper # 763930 13 7/8 x 17 ss prop

[ Edited ]

The V4 style Viper props use the same hardware that comes with your motor.

Above 40 mph may be a little optimistic with a 75.

For best results  your motor should turn around 5200 with a normal load aboard but do not exceed 5500 rpm.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Skipper

Thanks for the quick response , I suspected the speed was a little on the high side my old 75 merc. would get mine up to about 38 with only me in it .... I think I will go ahead and get the viper , looks like a good match for my boat .

And yes you are right , there always a few things to attend to on a boat
Admiral

Talk to your dealer before he mounts the E-TEC. Many dealers mount the engine all the way down but you may find better performance with the motor raised to the 2nd or 3rd hole. Do some trial and error runs if you are looking for the very top speed, raising the motor until you lose water pressure and/or blow out the prop in tight turns.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Skipper

I'll get my dealer to start 2 holes up and start there , then go higher if required ..... thanks for the heads up ! It will be a while before the new E-tec arrives but I'll update the results .
Skipper

Just had my new 75 etec installed on the 15 dauntless whaler ,, dealer tried it first at 2 holles up and then changed to 3 up and said this would be the optimum position ,  Went down on Friday (May 1) to try it out ,Just me in the boat and 3/4 tank of fuel , temperature was about 48 F out and water temp. was 38 F ,, there was almost no wind water was almost flat . Motor started as expected and idled smooth and very quiet , warmed up and headed out into Georgan Bay . When I hit the throttle wide open the boat jumped up on plane very quickly , very impressive .. I then trimmed out and the rpms settled out at 5300 with a speed of 43 mph. and ran smooth , this boat has never gone this fast on the water. On the way back tried many different trim positions and managed to get 5300 again with indicated speed of 42 mph. Tried many hard full power turns without any prop blow out or cavitation I am very happy with the prop selection for this motor and boat combination , I can't get over how quick the hole shot is with this new etec  . Will be picking up the boat this Thursday and all the ice has gone in front of my place in Tobermory ,,,, so ready to go....