Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Captain

What makes a tournament angler reach that next level?

What makes some guys/gals better tournament anglers?

Here's my answer and look forward to seeing others.. Versatility , mechanics,  finding right fish and making adjustments to catch them over a several day event..

Captain

Re: What makes a tournament angler reach that next level?

Time on the water and a support team that builds you up. My wife is my manager of paperwork, schedules, reservations, etc. Without that support, no angler can fully focus on his/her career. Or at least I can't. Also, that family support is crucial because of the sacrifice they must make in doing many things without you like family vacations, trick or treating, sometimes Easter, and the day to day events at school you only get to attend through pictures and stories after the fact.
Captain

Great answer Dan. After yours I'll make sure Kathy does not see mineSmiley Happy Smiley Happy

Captain

Keep in mind I was smart enough to let Jennie decide to do all that on her own. Seems I wasn't as efficient as she would hope in that section of my career. Ha! But I will say even though she probably won't see this, if I didn't have her, it would be very difficult to fish at my level as a pro.
Captain

[ Edited ]

I agree with Dan about family support and my Wife helping as the foundation of my business. I also agree with Dobyns! I will add that the following:

Set Realistic Goals and then execute - or like my Dad says: "Plan your work and work your plan!"

I see so many tournament anglers set out and just start fishing with no plan - which reminds me of another great saying - this one is from the talented Chip Leer (Emcee for the new Cabela's National Walleye Tour):

"No plan is a plan! It's a plan for failure!"

Mate

cheapessaywriter wrote:
Also, that family support is crucial because of the sacrifice they must make in doing many things without you like family vacations, trick or treating, sometimes Easter, and the day to day events at school you only get to attend through pictures and stories after the fact.

You must be a very happy man and with this kind of support you may reach the highest level. It's so important to have a possibility your passion to be shared in a family!