Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Highlighted
Skipper

Where is the Plug for Diagnostic Software? Check Engine Light Alarm Possible Causes? 2014 150 E-tec

Hi guys- I am at a loss and could use some help..   i cant seem to find the plug to plug in the diagnostic software i just got.  I have a 2014 Evinrude E-Tec, 300 hours, 150dpxabb, ser # 05400919 (6 year warranty expired this year).  Do i have to unplug a plug on the motor?  Or is it just an open plug somewhere for me to plug my plug into?  Also any thoughts on my issue are appreciated-  Initially, I thought i might have water in fuel, but not sure now.

Here's a little background - in June i had the manufacture install a new fuel tank b/c the old one was leaking (15 yrs in saltwater environment i guess corrodes them(had small pin holes)).  I put 20 gallons of non-ethanol fuel in it, with a bit of marine stabil (there was a bit of gas in the tank that the dealer installed but not sure what type).  i used it a few times and no issues. I then had to go out of town and the boat sat for about 4 months on the trailer at my house.   I took it out a few weeks ago, and the 'check engine' light and solid alarm came on about half way thru the day. The boat ran fine though, other than a few times initially on start up, it sputtered a bit like it wasnt getting fuel, then alarm would sound.  I would shut off, start up again, put it in gear a little quicker (after the beep sequence) then seemed fine.  Since that day I have done the following as it has been 3 yrs since my last 3 year service:  Pumped almost all of the gas out (fuel gauge says below Empty), replaced new fuel/water Seperator on boat, new OEM fuel pump on motor, new spark plugs, new thermostats and seals, new water pump kit, new lower unit grease, new seals for drive shaft. Today, i started it on the dual muffs (taped the little holes in front on lower untit)  and it fired right up, and pump was streaming water out of the back good, but the dang check engine light cam on and alarm sounded!  I am at a loss now as i thought all of that would solve the problem..  Any ideas are appreciated! 

Highlighted
Mate

Re: Where is the Plug for Diagnostic Software? Check Engine Light Alarm Possible Causes? 2014 150 E

Ok
Highlighted
Admiral

Re: Where is the Plug for Diagnostic Software? Check Engine Light Alarm Possible Causes? 2014 150 E

Triangular connector on flywheel cover with red, white and black wires

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Highlighted
Skipper

Is it a free plug or is it plugged in?  When hooked up, I assume i need to start the engine? Or do i just turn it to on?  Thanks for the help. 

Highlighted
Captain

The diagnostic connector is plugged into a cap type connector to hold it in place. You can read diagnostic information with the key on, engine off.
Highlighted
Admiral

Use extreme care if you connect up to the EMM with a laptop and you are not knowledgeable with the electronic adjustments and operation of the EMM. It is very easy to damage your motor inadvertently or by playing around with the settings carelessly. 

Refer to the factory service manual and reference the HELP section in the software, if it is the legal software. Some pirated copies from overseas may cause problems, viruses, or only have limited capabilities. 

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Highlighted
Skipper

Thank you both for the reply.  I will be careful.  I will refer to the service manual as well.  I am just trying to figure out the error code at this point.  Will keep you posted. 

Highlighted
Skipper

I tried to attach the pdf report/printout but was having some issues. So i have copied and pasted the Faults Readings from the Printout:

Occured Engine Faults:

Code | Times | Last | Desc

49 | 52 | 99:10 | 271:47 | Air Temperature ABOVE Range
88 | 1 | 263:55 | 264:04 | Exhaust Pressure BELOW Expected Range
17 | 5 | 289:56 | 290:31 | 55 Volt Circuit BELOW Range

Historical Engine Faults:
Code | Times | Last | Desc

49 | 52 | 271 | Air Temperature ABOVE Range
88 | 1 | 264 | Exhaust Pressure BELOW Expected Range
17 | 5 | 290 | 55 Volt Circuit BELOW Range

The last time out, and only time that i can remember the check engine light and alarm sounded.  It looks Like Code 17 is the colpurit,  is 55 Volt Circuit BELOW Range.  What does this mean exactly?  I have 2 batteries, with a perko switch.  My batteries did sit for several months, but i did charge them up before going out and my battery tester shows +12volts.  Thoughts?

Also, should i be concerned with the code 49? The Evinrude service center never said anything after they performed the the 3 year service in 2017.  The printout from that report showed it was triggered 3 times. Seems like that code has been triggered 49 times since, but i dont recall the check engine light ever activating.  

Any help is greatly appreciated!  Thank you!