Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Captain

Why can't I use my ETEC in my local lake?

We have all heard it! I know I sure did when I was first repowering my boat! Like many I went on several forums soliciting advice as to what engines would be best for my boat. Mostly, all I got was an argument for one's favorite motor, without any real info attached. We all have biases and it is often hard to wade through them, when they are delivered by well-meaning friends.

I was recently contacted by a gentleman going through this process. He was narrowing down his choices of engines and E-TECS seemed to meet some of his needs. But well meaning, although misinformed friends, told him he could not use the E-TEC's on his favorite local lake. Well, that was a deal breaker, no matter how well the motors may have fit the bill for his boat!
I told him I did not think that was true, but also said I would check it out, and get back to him. I did not want to be one of "those" friends that led astray someone just because of my own biases towards a brand that I love. So I googled "Two-Stroke lake restrictions" and began educating myself!

The Lake he was concerned about is Whatcom Lake in Northern Washington. And sure enough, it does have restrictions on two-stroke engines. I found the specific regulation and found out that it pertained to older carbureted two-stroke motors. An interesting read on what the "planners" are trying to accomplish can be found here!

http://www.cob.org/documents/pw/environment/Boatnotes-Handbook_2006_6.pdf

The handbook gives a history of the lake. It explains how the many pollutants that can be found in the lake get there. It covers what has been done and explains the reason for the restrictions on use of the lake. Here is a comment from the handbook! The privilege of boating on Lake Whatcom comes with a great deal of environmental responsibility!

What we learn from the handbook is that new "Two-Strokes" that meet "Carb" standards and built after 2004 are fine for usage on Lake Whatcom. If you read further, you will also note that the handbook states that, "Even with the improvement in two-stroke technology, most new four-stroke engines are cleaner than the new direct fuel injected two-stroke engines."
Now here is where I believe the parks department needs to do a little re-write of their handbook! If standard four-stroke engines are cleaner than two-strokes, why then would one of the cleanest lakes in the world, Lake Tahoe, have Evinrude E-TEC's on their patrol boats?

In fact at idle, E-TEC's are the cleanest outboard out there! Deadly co emissions do not even rise above lethal levels from an E-TEC. All others do, with some so high as to be very concerning. But idling is not where we like to play in the boating world! So when you are cruising and having fun on the water, how do all the motors stack up?

Yep, E-TEC wins that battle too! Total emissions for a 225hp engine, HC+NOx+Co, show the clear winner to be the Evinrude E-TEC. It has a total number of 63.05. The next closest manufacturer is 117.07, with a whopping total of 212.6 for the manufacturer with the worst emissions.

No matter what your well-meaning friends will tell you, E-TEC's can be used wherever you want. They are cleaner and pass even the stringent European emission standards. Take a look at the stickers on the side of an E-TEC the next time you see one! They carry the EU compliant sticker and the 3 star sticker. They are ready to go without any further manipulation of the motors software or mechanical processes to meet these standards. How many of the other brands carry that sticker? I can't answer everything for you, take a look around!

Lowest emissions of all outboard manufacturers. Lake Bodensee compliant. (cleanest lake in the world) California air resources board ultra-low emissions (3 Star) compliant. EPA 1045 compliant (2014+). EPA clean air excellence award winner.

Knowledge is a powerful thing, but often the truth cannot over whelm well-meaning fiction. So the next time a friend tells you just how dirty those E-TEC's are, just smile, knowing you have the correct information to make whatever decision you want. And if ETEC's are your choice for the back of your boat, you are being responsible where the environment is concerned!

Admiral

Re: Why can't I use my ETEC in my local lake?

[ Edited ]

That booklet condemns CARBURETED tradtional 2-stroke engines, not the EPA and California Air Resources Board certified engines such as the E-TEC which is direct injected.  Almost every E-TEC carries the 3-star approval for ULTRA LOW EMISSIONS.

Much mis-representation is going around, especially on the internet, about 2-stroke outboards.  No entity is or has plans to ban 2-stroke technology. Every regulation specifies a maximum amount of emisssions, not the type of engine.   A carbureted 2-stroke cannot meet those emission standards, but the direct fuel injected E-TEC is the cleanes engine there is as it was awarded the EPA Clean Air Award when it was introduced.

Excerps from the booklet in question.

----------------------------

Page 6

One Star – Low Emission l Meets CARB 2001 and EPA 2006 emission standards l 75% lower emissions than conventional carbureted two-stroke engines

Two Stars – Very Low Emission l Meets CARB 2004 emission standards l 20% lower emissions than Low Emission engines

Three Stars – Ultra Low Emission l Meets CARB 2008 exhaust emission standards l 65% lower emissions than Low Emission engines

Four Stars – Super Ultra Low Emission l Meets CARB 2009 emission standards l 90% lower emissions than Low Emission engines

---------------------------

Page 7

New and Improved Technology

Conventional carbureted two-stroke engines are slowly being replaced by more efficient and less polluting four-stroke and fuel-injected two-stroke engines. Both CARB and the EPA have new emissions standards for engines produced, starting 2001 and 2006, respectively. These newer engines, which are already on the market, are 30-40% more fuel-efficient.

--------------------------

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Captain

I agree!  That's my point.  This guy had "friends" tell him he could not use his boat on the lake if he got E-TEC's.  I was pointing out that he could.  Perhaps my lyrical form of writing was confusing? Smiley Happy

Admiral

I knew what you wrote and what you meant. My post was to inform other readers who may not be so knowledgeable.

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Captain

Hey Tracker....

Can I have your permission to copy/paste your article to my facebook page? I will need your name to give you credit for the writing though.

It would help to educate the old school thinkers giving advice on the new 2 stroke technology that they simply don't understand. Smiley Wink

Thanks, and have a great day!

Juls

"Fishing is not an escape from life, but often a deeper immersion into it…" –Harry Middleton
Admiral

Juls,

Don't forget to include the EPA Clean Air Award given to E-TEC when it was introduced.

http://www.epa.gov/air/cleanairawards/winners-2004.html

Captain

Of course....that's a given. It's also an intro for the improvements made in the new G2, from when they were orginally introduced... Smiley Wink

"Fishing is not an escape from life, but often a deeper immersion into it…" –Harry Middleton
Admiral

[ Edited ]

photo 412ca36f-18cd-4908-a64c-6751ba718250_zps104cba31.jpg

Captain

Thanks Bill...Smiley Happy

Captain

Of course use the article!  Sorry about the delay in getting back to you.  Been working hard on the boat with new electronics and all the little things that need to be done after a seasons worth of pounding through the water during tournaments!