Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Captain

Winterizing E-TEC 135HO in Canada Help

Hi All,

First winter coming up for my new 2019 E-TEC E135HGLABL, Serial 05545150.  I have a total of 29hrs on it so far.  I use XD 100 oil only.

I have already winterized it twice using the built in procedure, but I may go out again before we start to get freezing temps.

Questions:

1) In the manual it says "if quipped, disconnect the speedometer pickup at the upper connection and blow all water out of the hose using air pressure of 25 psi or less. Reconnect speedometer pickup after all the water has been removed." I think this means that if I have a speedometer (analog type) in dash that is connected to the motor with the hose, I need to do this.  My speedometer is hooked up to a pitot tube on the transome.  Or does this mean I have to blow out some tube in the motor head itself even if it's not connected to my speedometer?

2) My local Evinrude authorized repair only shop (not the dealer I bought the motor from), has told me I should bring the motor in and let him winterize it, stating that he will do the proper winterizing with gearcase oil change and traditional fogging of each cylinder and something to the effect of "Do you want to risk the new motor by trusting the marketing hype of auto winterizing and now serive for 3 years?"  So my question is, is the auto winterizing do a good enough job? it will be stored inside in an unheated barn.

Anyone in cold climates that has any experience and can vouch for the auto winterization feature?

Thanks

Admiral

Re: Winterizing E-TEC 135HO in Canada Help

1.   It is always a good idea to purge any water out of the analog-pitot type of speedometer hose 

2.  The auto--winterization procedure only "fogs" the engine internal parts with extra oil to protect them from corrosion during the off season.  You still have to stabilize the gasoline with a product such as Evinrude 2+4 Fuel Conditioner and lube everything and do whatever your boat requires for storage.

It is always a good idea to check the gearcase oil for any water contamination before storage, but if the oil is still clean you do not have to change it unless you wish to.

Add the Fuel Conditioner now and take the boat out to completely distribute it throughout the fuel system and engine.  If you take the boat out again if the weather is nice, just go out and run it and re-do the winterization procedure. That is the convenience factor of an Evinrude E-TEC.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Captain

Thanks for the tips Bill!

I run the motor all season with 2+4 in the tank at recommended concentration. I did that with the Ficht 135 too, so I'm good on that point.

I'll be sure to check the other stuff you mentioned.
Captain

Hey Kevin.

I'm a few days behind you here when it comes to winterizing the 135.

Don't forget that the storage dose of the stabilizer is x2 the normal dose.  

My boat lives in the chuck so I am anticipating having to do the auto fog procedure with the muffs on the hard.

Anyway, have fun with it.

Captain

Oh I didn't know about 2x 2+4.  I'll have to do that.

Thanks Alyaz

Captain

KevinD, At the front of the lower unit on your engine there is a plastic elbow with a tube running up too where your cables enter the engine. This tube is capped off from the factory . If this tube were used for your speedometer then it would need to be drained.
Captain

[ Edited ]

Hi Rick,
I see the hose with the elbow, it was on from factory.  But I can't locate it in the head of the motor, and it doesn't come out and go to my dash analog speedometer.  I traced the speedometer to the original pitot tube. So I have no idea where it terminates in the head.  It must be capped though or I assume the motor would be full of water by now.

Captain

Kevin, sorry if I missed it, but what type of gauges do you have?

Captain

Kevin, since you are not using the water tube on the engine it is capped and does not need to be drained.
Captain

Kevin, did your 'winterization' (fogging of the engine) go as the manual suggested / instructed?