Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Highlighted
Mate

is 60HP enough?

Hello guys,

My first post here but I am reading this forum for years now.

I am in a pretty difficult situation here not knowing if my future ETEC will be enoug for my future boat.

I am expecting my new boat to be delivered at the end of March and I did't decided yet the size of the engine.

The boat is the one in the link (never mind the language Smiley Happy but you can get the ideea) https://www.cribernautics.ro/delphin-5-0/

I am thinking about getting an ETEC60 ( best fit for my budget) and the manufacturer assured me that is more than enough for the boat.

What do you think guys?

I really love ETEC agains all the bad things I overheard in my Country (no one likes ETEC's in Romania ) saying that they are to delicate when it comes to gasoline quality but I want and will get an ETEC (someone got to be brave Smiley Happy )

Many thanks in advance and please excuse my poor English

Admiral

Re: is 60HP enough?

The manufacturer specifies 54 to 80 HP outboard motors for that boat. A 60 HP would be close to being underpowered if you added people in the boat. The 3-cylinder 60 HO or a 75 HP E-TEC would perform much better and be more enjoyable to operate.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Captain

Your nice looking boat website recommended 40 to 60 kw.  60 hp = 45 kw .. 60ho = 49 kw and a 75 hp = 56 kw . Buy as much power as possible. IMO 60 ho MINIMUM. 75 probably the most fun.   You’ll never regret having more power. Not having enough will be a sore spot.  If you plan on any water sports you’ll need the 75. Good luck with your purchase.

Captain

The Etecs are very fuel efficient but any brand outboard uses much more fuel at wide open throttle. A cruise speed of 4500 rpm uses much less fuel than cruising at 5200 rpm. Within a fairly short time the fuel savings of running a 75 hp at a lower rpm will offset the higher price as compared to having to run the 60 at full throttle.
All brands of fuel injected outboards are "sensitive" to wet gas. Install a boat mounted water separator filter and change the filter every 6 months.
Mate

Hello guys and many many thanks for your quick responses,
So , as far as I understand I will go for the biggest engine possible.
The problem is that 60HO is not available in my part of the world so I should lean towards the 75HP.
Now....the difference pricewise in between 75HP and 90HP is less than 400$ so.....if I decide to pay the difference should I choose the 90HP over 75HP ?
The manufacturer said that he can give me a Certificate stating that his boat is good for 90HP.
Choices...choices....
I'm in the horns of a dilemma(if I'm using the quote correctly Smiley Happy )
Admiral

That is only a decision you can make, not us.  The 75 and 90 are basically the same motors and perform well.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Captain

I have run both the 75 and 90 on my personal boat. The 90 only gave me 2 mph more at full throttle, so for average use there will be little performance gain.
As an Evinrude dealer I would suggest getting the 75hp and using the savings to install an IconPro tach instead of the standard System Check tach.