Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Mate

90 HO tiller

I have adjusted the trim tab in slight increments to thr right trying to eliminate thr steering torque when I trim tje motor up, but not much improvment in the steering. Have the trim tab all the way to the right. Can only get 34 mph with very little trim.What other options is there to improve the performance? Motor is on 2018 Crestliner Pro Tiller 1850. Very disappointed with performance.Wish there was hydraulic steering available for this motor.

Admiral

Re: 90 HO tiller

Sometimes a change in propeller is beneficial, but it is trial and error. Is the motor too deep in the water?

A good dealer can covert your motor to remote steering with hydraulics or possibly work out a trade in deal.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Mate

Don’t think its too deep. Cavitation plate is level with the keel when motor is verticle. Do you think changing from stainless steel prop to aluminum would make a difference? Had the boat for a week. Now I am wishing I gone with a Merc with hydraulic steering.
Mate

Admiral

@PT1850 wrote:
Don’t think its too deep. Cavitation plate is level with the keel when motor is verticle. Do you think changing from stainless steel prop to aluminum would make a difference? Had the boat for a week. Now I am wishing I gone with a Merc with hydraulic steering.

A rule of thumb on a planing type boat is to first position the anti-ventilation plate about 1 to 1-1/2" above the keel and keep raising the engine until it performs the best.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Mate

Thank you for the suggestions.....I will live with it for this summer....maybe it will grow on me and I will get used to it.
Highlighted
Captain

"Get used to it"? The point of boating is to have a pleasurable experience. The AV plate needs to be on top of the water when cruising on plane. Check out this pic:

https://goo.gl/images/NkPMBT

Getting remote steering shouldn't be difficult and a basic teleflex cable would suffice for a 90 as opposed to using hydraulic steering.

2017 Tidewater 1910 Baymax
Evinrude 150HO (M: E150HGXABH S/N: 05500627H MFDate: 6/17)