Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Highlighted
Skipper

Icon gauge data versus Lowrance Engine Data

I am able to monitor engine and fuel data from my 2016 (G1)  Etec 150 H.O. on both my Icon  ( Tach, Speedometer, and Trim) gauges and my Lowrance display ( HDS 3 & Live) through a NMEA 2000 Interface cable. When I calibrate the trim using the menu on the tach,and then trim the motor all the way up , the needle on the gauge will travel to the upper endpoint while the "needle" on the Lowrance dashboard will top out around 70%. As a data source for trim, I choose "NMEA" instead of "Evinrude". My second problem is that the fuel tankl level on the Lowrance display will not show any fuel, while the Icon gauges will. Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Captain

Re: Icon gauge data versus Lowrance Engine Data

Fuel gauge - The standard fuel gauge sending unit is an analog resistor (for standard needle type gauges). The IconPro tach has an "analog input" that can display fuel level on the gauge.
A unit generally termed as a fuel level converter can be added that will send a digital fuel level to the NMEA network so both the HDS and the IconPro can read the signal. The IconPro would have to be set to " fuel source - NMEA.
Trim gauge - As an Evinrude dealer tech I have found that the trim sending unit "tops out" at about 80 percent on analog trim gauges. The calibration feature in the IconPro gauge corrects the sending unit readings. The HDS is displaying "raw uncorrected data". One tech has reported being able to correct this by removing small amounts of material from the trim sender lever stop until the gauge reads 100 percent.
Skipper

Thanks. You have been very helpful. I did check into the fuel level converters. Am I correct in that these have to be wired to the current fuel sensor mounting plate on the gas tank?
Captain

The converter can be connected directly to the sending unit or to the wires under the dash that go to the sending unit, provided those wires are in good condition. For boats with the fuel tanks under the floor I prefer to connect converters and network connections under the dash.
Skipper

Are we talking about using something like the Lowrance EP15 to convert from analog to digital ? Is the white wire attached to pin 6 on the tach harness the one that carries fuel level information? Lastly, will this entail a 3 way splice? Thanks for your help.

Captain

The EP-15 has been replaced by the EP-65R.
You will find that many of the Lowrance accessories are now under the parent company Navico brand name. The fluid level converter is also available from Evinrude.
I will have to check wiring diagrams to verify the function of a white wire on the tach harness. There is no fuel level information sent on the Evinrude engine wiring harness. There is a white wire with a tan stripe for trim sender position. Fuel sender's are part of the boat wiring with the ABYC color code of pink for the sending unit. The boats pink wire is probably connected to an input wire on your tach labeled "fuel level 0, tank 1". There would be no 3 way splice. Fuel sender "pink" wire would be disconnected from the tach and spliced directly to the EP-64R converter. The tach would then be set to " fuel source, NMEA" and read fluid level data from the network input.
Skipper

The EP-65R has a red and black wire. Would I splice the red end with the pink input wire to the tach? Black wire to ground?

Appreciate your help.

Captain

Yes, but remove the pink wire from the tach. Then you will set the tach to fuel level source - NMEA
Skipper

Is there any type of A-B switch which would allow me the ability to choose either the analog input into the tach or the converter to the NMEA network, in case the NMEA network were to fail?