Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Mate

New E-Tec 90 HO

My 1991 70 hp Evinrude finally kicked it. Repowering with a new 90 HO E-Tec. This is going on a Ranger 680C that's rated for 115hp. Just wondering about perfomance and fuel economy as the 70 sucked gas like no tomorrow. 12 gal tank on my boat and on a Canada Trip, refilled every day--10 gallons--didn't travel very far from camp. Thanks for your comments--new member of E-Nation!

Admiral

Re: New E-Tec 90 HO

[ Edited ]

My guess is that your fuel bill will be about 1/3 less but more likely close to being cut in half due to the power and efficiency of the Evinrude E-TEC 90 HO. It will also consume much less oil. Be sure to have it propped about 5800-6000 with a normal load and fuel aboard for best all around use

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Captain

Agree with BWB. With 20 more horses, you should be able to cruise at lower RPMs keeping your fuel flow lower. I bet the 90ho weighs the same if not less than the old 70. So your power to weight ratio increases too.

Congrats!
2017 Tidewater 1910 Baymax
Evinrude 150HO (M: E150HGXABH S/N: 05500627H MFDate: 6/17)
Mate

BWB,

Thanks for the reply. I'm really excited about this purchase and have selected a dealer that has a great reputation. He said he wasn't sure about prop selection until he water tested it. He's on top of this stuff so I trust he will have the right configuration when I pick it up. 

Captain

Be careful the 70 Weighs about 250 lbs while the 90HO weighs around 400!

Mate

I thought the same--390lbs to be exact

Captain

The 90HO comes in at around 100HP btw.

Captain

Wow, that's quite a difference.  Now that i look at the specs, the 90HO weighs the same as the 115... might as well get the 115 if that's what the boat's max rating is.

2017 Tidewater 1910 Baymax
Evinrude 150HO (M: E150HGXABH S/N: 05500627H MFDate: 6/17)
Mate

Just thought I'd give a report. The 90 HO is plenty of an outboard for my 680C. Went to Canada Lake of the Woods last week. Top end was 48mph, cruise at 3000 rpm was perfect at 25 mph. The hole shot was incredible!--Only a few seconds and I'd bring her down to cruising speed at 3000 rpm--my fishing partner was really impressed. My gas consumption was probably a 1/3 less than previous ($8.00 a gallon in the wild)  and she started every time with a twist of the key unlike the old. Very happy with the purchase!

Highlighted
Admiral

We are glad to hear of your good experiences with your Evinrude E-TEC outboard motor.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.